Building a network.

A.Gingell

Beta member
So I'm quite the novice when it comes to networking, I've been able to teach myself how to work around ethernet cables and terminate them and such. However I've come across a lot of issues recently of making a LAN network, we have a switch and some cables already put in place but for some reason when turning off wifi and go to rely on the cable. I don't get any net, my cable tester broke recently but when I tested the cables before they were fine. Any advice would be welcome.

I was having some issues with my switch not too long ago and I found out that my culprit was my DHCP settings. Do you have any devices on static assignment?

Hey there, nope I don't believe I do. Luckily the project isn't too far ahead so later on today I'm relaying some cable to be sure its all laid and terminated properly. Unfortunately, I'm not very well knowledgable about switches so I have kind of ended up stumped quite a bit. I'm nowhere near a professional and have learnt on the job for much of it.

Cables can "go bad" just sitting there, usually from oxidation of the copper at the termination point. Switches can also go bad...

Are you able to ping the other computers on the wired network? The wired network is connected to the modem/router, correct?

Back
Top Bottom