is staying on Win7 after support ends dangerous?

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I'm currently still running Windows 7 on my desktop PC, and in only a few days MS will end the support for Win7.
I know that I should update to Win10 but since I have no issues with Win7 I was wondering if it was ok to stick to Win7 even after MS ended to support for it.

Would there be any dangers like malware or viruses that Win7 wold be more vulnerable to after the support period ended?
Is there anything I can do (other than taking that PC completely off the internet) to still keep running Win7 safely?
Or is there really no way around getting Win10?
I'm not worried about the costs of Win10, I saw that license can be bought for relatively little money, but I am not a big an of having to re-install all my software. If there is no way around it, then be it, but I wanted to ask around first.

Thanks!
Lars

Hi,
I'm currently still running Windows 7 on my desktop PC, and in only a few days MS will end the support for Win7.
1. Would there be any dangers like malware or viruses that Win7 wold be more vulnerable to after the support period ended?
2. Is there anything I can do (other than taking that PC completely off the internet) to still keep running Win7 safely?
3. Or is there really no way around getting Win10?
4. I'm not worried about the costs of Win10, I saw that license can be bought for relatively little money
Thanks!
Lars
1. no
2. no
3. use for as long as you want or if there will appear a problems. There is no risk to home users, if they don't use this computer for working with sensitive data, for example for working with banking data.
It can only be dangerous if you process a lot of secret material on this computer that may be tempting to someone.
4. If you have genuine activated Windows 7, then upgrade doesn't cost nothing, it's for all Windows 7, Windows 8-8.1 users still free.

If this is true, that You have Win 7 home premium 64 bit, then You can get Windows 10 Home absolutely for free. There is no restrictions.

1. no
2. no
3. use for as long as you want or if there will appear a problems. There is no risk to home users, if they don't use this computer for working with sensitive data, for example for working with banking data.
It can only be dangerous if you process a lot of secret material on this computer that may be tempting to someone.
4. If you have genuine activated Windows 7, then upgrade doesn't cost nothing, it's for all Windows 7, Windows 8-8.1 users still free.

If this is true, that You have Win 7 home premium 64 bit, then You can get Windows 10 Home absolutely for free. There is no restrictions.

Thank you very much!

Yes, I have a genuinely purchased (DVD) version of Win7 that I activated on the PC in question. Isn't the period during which the upgrade to Win10 is free already expired?
If not, could I get the free upgrade even if I wan to install from scratch to get a fresh clean install? Would Win10 accept my 'old' Win7 license key?
Oh, I should mention that the Win7 I purchased is only an OEM license, does that make a difference?

Thanks again!

Thank you very much!

Yes, I have a genuinely purchased (DVD) version of Win7 that I activated on the PC in question.
1. Isn't the period during which the upgrade to Win10 is free already expired?
If not, could I get the free upgrade even if I wan to install from scratch to get a fresh clean install?
2. Would Win10 accept my 'old' Win7 license key?
3. Oh, I should mention that the Win7 I purchased is only an OEM license, does that make a difference?

Thanks again!
1. Isn't the period during which the upgrade to Win10 is free already expired?
No, it isn't. As I said, if You have gernuine key, You can activate Windows 10 with the same key, but if the computer already came with preinstalled Windows 7, the Windows 10 will actiwate automatically. There is one more method, ie You can generate so called Genuine Ticket before upgrading (search by Google, what it means) or register this computer on Your Microsoft account (https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ log in an, but d find "Don't see your device?
Add a device to your Microsoft account so you can get support online, see device location, manage synced data, and more.") The third method is to use Windows 7 key, but do not input any key during installation, simply click "Don't have key" and continue.
2. Would Win10 accept my 'old' Win7 license key?
Yes, but remember, on the sticker is not actiwation key, there is only installation key for this DVD whot came wit
t the Win7 I purchased is only an OEM license, does that make a difference?
All OEM activated computers will be activated automatically and You'll get new digital licence what is valid for this computer only and Microsoft will generate new HWID. Every next time You'll reinstall Windows, it will find this new key and activates automatically.

My recommendation, download Windows 10 ISO from this site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, ie download Media Creation Tool and use it to make Your own .iso or USB installation media or go to this site and download already made .iso
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
If done, generate Genuine Ticket (just for case), register Your computer on Microsoft site, backup Your personal files and then do clean install of Windows 10.
So now I don't know what more to tell.
Here is one old tutorial, but maybe is helpful, there is also how to make Genuine Ticket...
Good luck. If You have questions, ask. I'll try to help.

Thank you very much!

I'll try this as soon as I have some time (I think I will need a full day if I do a clean install, re-installing all my software will probably take that long).

Does it make any difference whether I make an installation disc or if I use a USB to install Windows 10 from?

Thank you very much!
1. Does it make any difference whether I make an installation disc or if I use a USB to install Windows 10 from?
1. Does it make any difference whether I make an installation disc or if I use a USB to install Windows 10 from?
No, there is no matter, but USB is faster. If You haven't usually used USB, make DVD, but there is one little problem with the latest version .iso. Simmply the source is so large, that it is not fit on 4.7GB DVD.
I'm not sure, but maybe if You uses MediaCreation Tool, is possible to get smaller a bit, because it looks for Your computer needs and then will not input all versions to .iso, but it may not do so. Last time I made one, it was on 12th of Dec, I got size 5.04GB.
If so, then must use USB or something other from what can be used as bootable source.
If to do as upgrade, then I recommend to backup personal files to some other media or to other drive or to other partition. Unpack downloaded .iso to the same drive (for example to C:\ drive to folder Install), and if everything is done, simply run setup.exe (recommended to run as administrator) and follow instructions. Only once again, if asked for key, simply click "don't have" and continue installing.
If You will use this method, ie install like upgrade, then after everything ends, You'll see on C drive folder named Windows.old. There is Your previous Windows version, ie current Windows 7.
If everything is OK and works, you don't need it no more and can be deleted. If You want to go back, then there is option to restore previous version.

There's DEFINITELY risk of malware taking advantage of unpatched Windows 7 systems. Maybe not now, but definitely in the future, especially with so many users (and companies) still running Windows 7. I would NOT say there's no risk. Just no risk, YET.

1. no
2. no

....stop giving bad advice for petes sake

1: Disagree - Yes, Win7 will be more vulnerable, to emerging new threats, as security flaws are found, and exploited, and it's incredibly unlikely Microsoft will issue a patch for that flaw.
2: Agreedish - No, there is nothing that can be done long-term, in the short term you should keep your antivirus software updated, and use BEST PRACTICES when it comes to online behavior, but this is a very short-term, 2-3 months deal, as zero-day exploits that impact basic browsing will eventually come along and cause problems. Even best practices can't help with that.
3: Disagree - Sorry, but anyone using a computer most likely is accessing what would be considered sensitive information, email, shopping websites, social websites, and so on. Add on to the fact that a Windows 7 computer on the same LAN as other devices can become an open gateway into the network. So no, one shouldn't be using a computer with Win7 for too much longer after support has dropped.
4: Neutral - While Microsoft officially stopped activating free upgrades, they never actually disabled the system that allowed this. Microsoft will not provide support to those that get stuck upgrading due to any issues encountered unless you have a legitimate Win10 key now. Google will be your best friend if you run into issues.

There are rumors that you can extend your windows 7 updates till 2023, I'm not sure how well it will work until sometime after tomorrow's Tuesday's updates come out.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bypass-windows-7-extended-security-updates-eligibility.80606/

That'll get you just 3 more years.....if it works the way it's supposed too. But eventually we will have to make a decision to go with W10 or a Linux distro
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/linux/kde-plasma-welcomes-windows-7-refugees-to-the-linux-side/

Another Side Note: With the IT industry, 3 years is a long time as far as how things change so quickly

Last edited:
I just spent the last hour setting up a ubuntu image on my ESXi host to handle PLEX... Need to figure out what to do about my other Win7 machines... One is staying as it's isolated to some extent (can't get out to the internet or in, it just serves a few files to the LAN).

Back
Top Bottom