In Car PC - Recommend me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skuzzle

In Runtime
I recently built a pc into my car using a 7" touchscreen up the front.

Basically I want to take the system out and so i can use it at home again and replace it with something else.

So I need harware recommendations... I've got the harddrive sorted.

The requirements are a quick boot time (very very quick)
Stable through severe vibration abuse.
I have a terratec soundcard already
I do need graphics card (i'd prefer 2 or 3 for different monitor outputs)
And I gotta have USB
I have the GPS reciever already for the sat nav
I need also a slim dvd/cd drive that will hold the disc in a similar way to the old original playstations.
Oh and I need a psu that will be ok running from a 500w inverter but also provide enough power for the system and possible upgrades.

All this system does is run a music/video program and satelite navigation although i would like to be able to make full use of a 2/3 monitor setup and have the option for playing games.

Keep it as cheap as possible but only using very good quality equipment.

Enjoy

Nvidia Geforce FX5200 graphics card(s) - there are PCI versions if you need more than one, and they give descent performance in games too. they even run Doom 3

Antec, Thermaltake or Enermax 420W PSU - good quality PSU's there

AMD Athlon XP or Sempron 2500+ CPU - cheap but descent CPU

Gigabyte 7VT600F motherboard - Gigbyte make good quality motherboards

if you really need a quick boot up, get a WD Raptor 10,000RPM SATA HDD, or 2 drives in a Raid 0 from Seagate or WD
Seagate and WD are prolly best for stability if they do get knocked around a little
you may actually want to get a raid 1 array, which mirrors the drives so if one fails you can use the other

I don't know if any normal hard drive can take that abuse while running in a car. You might wanna get an external and mount it under the dash.

i already got the pc in the car... just wanna change the mobo and bits... i have 2 hard drives.. maxtors and they both have been happy running in the car on a daily basis for almost a year

very easy...

check out www.drive4fun.co.uk in the rides/staff rides you will be able to find photos of the system

Its pretty basic... pc in boot... well mobo bolted to back seat.. Inverter to step 12v up to mains and a usb touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom