Bios don't detect cd-rw & dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriel

Baseband Member
I've bought an asus a7n8x-x MB, an Athlon XP 2600+, with an Asus CD-RW 52x24x52x and a Samsung DVD-R 48x.
When I boot the PC (with the other components :) ), Bios don't detect the two cd devices. And when I Am in Windows (98 don't laugh plz) I can't find any of the readers. What can I do ?

(Sorry for the bad english : I'm French)

it could be the type of IDE cables you are using;
there are some details at:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-5040.html
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/New_Users/Q_20632271.html
---they are both computer forums too---

check if your motherboard supports the same speed that your CD Burner/DVD Drive (ATA66/100/133 - the difference is mainly speed) are designed to work with and that the cables are in between the limits of both.

If you are using compatible speeds I'm sure MicroBell could come up with something

The IDE Cable are these which were sold with the mother board and the cd/dvd drives. None of them resolve the problem. As for Ata66/100/133, my motherboard and cd/dvd drives are compatible, and I can always not detect those two damn drives.
Thanks anyway Apokalipse for your help.

I'm not using the deluxe model, it's the a7n8x-x standard model. The two drives are connected two the secondary ide. When I plug an old cd-drive in instead of the two new devices, bios detect it without any problem, and I can use it correctly in Windows. Do you think a Bios update could stop the problem ?

try checking your jumper settings.

I suggest putting those drives on a separate IDE channel from your hard disk(s) and making your DVD-R the master, while making the CDRW the slave on that channel.

Also, I agree with all the rest of the responders with checking out your BIOS settings and your IDE cables.

are the jumper settings correct? just make sure they're not both set to master or something

do the drives themselve show activity - eg can you open and close them properly?

when you've checked the BIOS for the "auto" settings get into windows; go to the My Computer icon, right click and go to properties, then hardware, device manager and go to "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" right click on secondary IDE channel and properties and make sure both ports are on "DMA if available" If they are already on this try the other option/s (my motherboard is fairly old so it only has 1 other option)
I don't know if this changes the BIOS as well but it's worth a try

It's funny (just a little) but I've found the solution. RFD system : Read that F***ing Doc ! There was a Jumper on the Motherboard I had to switch. Now it work perfectly and I can install Win2000 pro. Thank you very much to all. I think I'll come back to solve other's problems or to submits mines. Thank you again for your help !

Please move up to a newer OS this might not be the problem but come on.. (sorry if i came of rude)

Dude521 said:
Please move up to a newer OS this might not be the problem but come on.. (sorry if i came of rude)

whats wrong with windows 2000 professional? Not everyone in this world wants or needs XP.

I think win2000 is quite good.
By the way, the jumper i was talking about is not on the mainboard but on the cd-rw drive. (I had to set it as slave)
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom