Just A Lil Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asdfman

Solid State Member
well.. hi everyone, im new here, and i'd like to say thank you tech forums, a lot of stuff has helped me on here..

well anyways, i have a computer with the specs of: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.20 GHZ 2.20GHZ. 256 MB of Ram, It has windows XP and Service Pack 2... I was just wondering if anyone here knew what i should do to make it a "gaming" computer. The motherboard is all integrated.. And i want a video card.. I know i need a PCI slot... but im not sure how to check.. Any other upgrades you would recommend? Im not willing to spend more than 100 bux.... im a broke ass lol, thanks for your help.

Every motherboard has a PCI Slot...which sucks for graphics cards. You want to check and make sure (which I'm pretty sure you'll have it) that you have an AGP slot which is generally off centered of the PCI slots and is generally a different color. Usually brown, but now-a-days it depends on the motherboard manufacturer because I've noticed blue and red AGP slots too.

$100 won't get you much but no doubt it'll still get you a card that performs far better than your current onboard.

Still won't be anywhere near a 'gaming' computer though :p

EDIT: Also you should really look into more RAM. 512MB is basically the standard now and even that is getting kind of so-so as far as memory needs go.

o yeah..

my buddy that is in college and knows a shit load about computers said that since my mobo is integrated.. i need a PCI slot... and a PCI Vid Card....

is there a way to install ram? how would you do that? and what would u recommend? i have like 100 bux lol

well, $100 isnt going to get you both the ram and the card. And mobo's with integrated video CAN (and most likely do) have AGP slots.

Yes there is a way to install ram. you simply put it in the slot. You said you have 256mb now, you probably have 2 ram slots on your board. youll hafta check to see whether you have 1 stick of 256mb or 2 sticks of 128mb. if you have 1 stick of 256 and 1 empty ram slot, then you'll just hafta buy another stick of 256mb and put it in the empty slot. However, if you have 2 sticks of 128mb, youll hafta take them out and upgrade accordingly (ie. 2 sticks of 256mb or 1 stick of 512mb)

my buddy that is in college and knows a shit load about computers said that since my mobo is integrated.. i need a PCI slot... and a PCI Vid Card....
Hate to tell you but your buddy must have not paid attention very well in class. Having integrated graphics plays NO part whatsoever in determining whether you need a PCI or AGP based graphics card...so I'd say he doesn't know as much about computers as you might think.

if you dont got a AGP slot then theres not much video cards that'll handle new games o_O AGP and PCI-E is the best cards at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom