What You've Just Bought!

New water pump for my truck and all the associated things to replace it; to include radiator flush; brake flush, differential oil replacement, AC check...
Woman's car took a **** on us yesterday after one month of ownership. Thermostat failed causing an overheat just down the road. This lead to the water pump and/or gasket failing leaking all the water I put in out. And, it now has a knock. This is a 2013 Cruze with 84k miles on it :annoyed:

Not really avoidable. The whole cooling system on the whole line of cars spanning 4 different engines is made up of cheap **** causing leaks, failure, and overheating. The car was running perfectly fine before it overheated, AND even as of right now (haven't put new thermostat in) it's running "at temp" which according to my Foxwell reader is a toasty *** 240f. Also, it's an electronically controlled thermostat, it was $108 (requires the whole housing to be replaced which the one I got is a GM reissue and is completely metal instead of the factory plastic). Thermostat on my Mustang? $15 and hasn't failed yet in 20 years but I have one on standby for when it does. Funny thing being the water pump stopped leaking when the guy I called in to check out the knock.

I tried to pressure her to get an older not a newer car but when do people ever listen?

GM is notorious for faulty crap and knowing it and not providing the right repair.
I can recall that a lot of their engines had bad head gaskets, My first experience was with my '97 venture minivan in '97 and it was covered in warranty, but those gaskets failed two more times after that. My wife had an '03 Malibu that had the same head gasket fails.
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=gm+3.8+head+gasket+problems&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLhM_s9tLhAhUR7awKHbZ0CgEQ1QIoAHoECAoQAQ&biw=1152&bih=609

It's one of the reasons I decided to drive a Honda after owning a new Chrysler 200 in 2012... that thing started falling apart after 3 yrs, I'm glad it got totaled it out in 2015. The U.S. auto manufactures produce **** for cars today and that's the reason they are losing the market

Last edited:
GM is notorious for faulty crap and knowing it and not providing the right repair.
I can recall that a lot of their engines had bad head gaskets, My first experience was with my '97 venture minivan in '97 and it was covered in warranty, but those gaskets failed two more times after that. My wife had an '03 Malibu that had the same head gasket fails.
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=gm+3.8+head+gasket+problems&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLhM_s9tLhAhUR7awKHbZ0CgEQ1QIoAHoECAoQAQ&biw=1152&bih=609

It's one of the reasons I decided to drive a Honda after owning a new Chrysler 200 in 2012... that thing started falling apart after 3 yrs, I'm glad it got totaled it out in 2015. The U.S. auto manufactures produce **** for cars today and that's the reason they are losing the market
Funny you mention the 200. Guy that came out (on her insistence) mentioned when he worked for Chrysler he worked on a 200. Was "hydroplaning" without any rain. Turns out, they had the oil filter and cooler on top of the engine under a plastic cover and it was spewing oil that was leaking all over the transmision. AND his first appointment in the morning? A 2012 Chevy Cruze with COOLING ISSUES.

I replaced the thermostat, now "at temp" is 210 and even with the fan off it won't budge from that. Holding water, no leaks, and worked fine during a test drive around the block. Spirited test drive. Heater works brutally good now too. So now we wait for the next cooling part to fail, probably the water pump.

Idk why, but she got mad when he told her the exact same thing I did. THEN I get no appreciation at all even though I brought the total cost down to 108 instead 550. :sleep::annoyed:

I guess that Ford and Chrysler figured out that they can't build a good car (excluding muscle car$). They gave up on cars that only sold for $25,000 and only sell trucks which are probably cheaper to produce and they get over $40,000 for them

My mom's ford was built with the Triton v8 that has a flaw in the head design that breaks spark plugs if you aren't super carefull pulling them. Once broken inside idk how you get it out but the job just got more expressive. I got my shop to do it. They succeeded. Ford knew about the problem and figured it's more expensive to recall and fix than get sued a lot and settle. Wtf yay America

I guess that Ford and Chrysler figured out that they can't build a good car (excluding muscle car$). They gave up on cars that only sold for $25,000 and only sell trucks which are probably cheaper to produce and they get over $40,000 for them
Only problem with my Focus is the thermostat gets stuck wide open in cold weather until the engine starts warming up. I actually think they put more time and effort into the F150s and Mustangs than any other vehicles they produce because they make the money, especially the F150s.

My mom's ford was built with the Triton v8 that has a flaw in the head design that breaks spark plugs if you aren't super carefull pulling them. Once broken inside idk how you get it out but the job just got more expressive. I got my shop to do it. They succeeded. Ford knew about the problem and figured it's more expensive to recall and fix than get sued a lot and settle. Wtf yay America
Those same 5.4s also like to spit the spark plugs out and your truck then sounds like a massive lawn mower. I'm ok with my Mustang because the 4.6 2v is pretty much bullet proof if you take care of it. I would not own any other vehicle from Ford between 90 and 2009.

My brother in law had two Expedition SUV's and each one blew out a rod at 80k miles. Not getting a Ford SUV
A new F150 truck will set you back around $29,000.00 (cheapest model) If you want an F150 with all the bells and whistles you'll have to cough up $68,000.00
https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/#/select/http://

I do like the Ford trucks, I drove a F250 4x4 that was a work truck back in the 80's for many years

Last edited:
I wanted to trade in / upgrade my Focus to an F150. When I looked in January I could get a decent package 2016 for around 30k. Once I have employment again I will probably wind up doing that anyways since I have a feeling I'll be towing.

Back
Top Bottom