Best speakers for $50 bucks or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot for all of your help, I really appreciate it. I've made my decision and I'm going to get that Soundblaster card from Wal Mart, and pay a little more and get the Logitech Z-3's. I read some reviews online, and every one of them said exactly what you did, that for under $100 bucks the Z-3's can't be beat. Thanks again for the help.

The Sicuro RW-350XL's (one's on that Xioxide link) totally suck. They're cheaply made, sound cheap, and the whole setup is like 10 watts. They put more work into how they looked than the actual sound quality.

Anyway, as for the Logitechs I posted...I got a set for my desk at work for $45 from CompUSA. If that doesn't settle the price war for ya, I don't know what will.

Today I walked into Wal Mart, and checked the computer section. I found the sound card for $29, and believe it or not, the Z-3's were $59, just $6 over newegg's price. And with newegg's "Saver Shipping", Wal Mart was a bit cheaper, even after tax. I couldn't freaking believe it.

My only question now is how to properly disable the onboard sound. Will I need to go into BIOS, or can it be done in Windows through the "Device Manager" section? Also, will Windows auto-detect the new sound card, or will I have to do something manually there?

you could completely disable it through the BIOS. I ususally perfer this, since its another thing windows doesnt have to keep track of. That's assuming you know what you're doing. If you don't, its not important because device manager works fine.

Sicuro speakers are just about the worst. I heard their 'top of the line' 5.1 gaming speaker things and they were worse than my nice Altec 2.1s. It's amazing the kind of crap they think they can put out. Their 2.1's are nice looking, but their 5.1s are down right fugly.

Those logitechs will do very nicely. I heard them at the store and thought about buying them, but decided my current setup was nice enough.

Good luck!

I feel bad for reviving this old thread, but I still have a question. I get to install the soundcard tomorrow, and hook up the speakers, and I am freaking excited. Anyway, on another thread, Nubius made this post:

"I got the same board and the sound is pretty good IMO. As long as you load a present into your EQ, like the Rock Preset in Winamp will give you a really good sound. Only if you don't adjust the EQ will you get a flat sound from it."

What is he talking about loading something into the EQ. His post is regarding onboard sound, but does it apply to the soundcard also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom