Building new machine, would like some suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nkosi

Beta member
Need MOBO suggestions

ok, I'm gonna build basically a new system, already have my case, psu, ram, and maybe my video card, I cant decide whether or not I want to upgrade it.

Heres the deal, I want my new box to not just be filled with bargain parts, so I'm looking for a good mobo/proc combo (I'm not biased towards either AMD or Intel, I can go either way) I'm pretty much decided on a audigy 2zs for sound, the ram I already have is 2 sticks of 512 ddr pc 3500 fsb 433mhz, and my video card is an inno3d Geforce fx 5700 (256 mb ddr2)

First question: Mobo? who makes a solid mobo, and what processor should I get with it? I am alittle confused on the dual channel DDR mobo's but form my understanding, on a dual channel board my 1gb of ram will operate as if it is 2gb.

Second: My video card, should I stick with it? I don't know a lot about inno3d, is it a good brand? And is it worth upgrading, because I feel it's a pretty damn good card as is.

Lastly: Is it worth replacing my generic ram and paying extra to upgrade to a name brand DDR2 application? or should I stick with the ram I have and spend a lot getting a good mobo/proc?

I'm looking at a budget of about 1k for mobo, proc, and sound card, I'll be using my HDD's that I already have, and maybe my vid card, unless yall have better ideas.

Thansk in advance for you time/consideration.

Im kinda hooked on the MSI motherboards they prove to be very reliable.Ive built about 5 computers with msi and still have 3 and the outhers the people ive built them for still have them and I would just stick with the ram for now.I think you have to use pentium for that ram but not sure on that.The video card should be OK Its the same card I have just a different brand name but I can play all the latest games and they play exelent.Do you know about the new motherboards and Vid cards coming out or might already be out its with the PCI Express.Its the wave of the future at least for the near future.

Alright, I need a good mobo suggestion, like actual model, needs to support athlon 64 cpu, and support my gig of ddr pc 3500 433mhz

i think Abit AV8 socket 939 Motherboard and Asus A8V 939 socket board are top two good motherboards that are pretty popular and good products.

Re: Need MOBO suggestions

Nkosi said:

First question: Mobo? who makes a solid mobo, and what processor should I get with it? I am alittle confused on the dual channel DDR mobo's but form my understanding, on a dual channel board my 1gb of ram will operate as if it is 2gb.
Not quite. Dual channel will let your memory perform "as if" it were twice as fast. Not as if it were doubling your memory. So the speeds will just be faster not the hard memory space.

As for a mobo, I would reccomend an ASUS board.

I am really impressed with my DFI Lanparty motherboard. It is extremely easy to overclock the CPU ( easy to use BIOS ) and comes standard with a CMOS reloaded feature ( works much like windows system restore ). I have had this motherboard for about a year now with out a single problem. As far as processors go I would say go with a P4 3.0/3.2 ( depending on how much money you have ). Finally sound cards -> Sound Blaster Audigy, no qustion. I LOVE this card, the sound is BEAUTIFUL. If you go with the upper level Audigy cards you get a nifty front pannel which is useful if you do any recording on your machine. However, my suite mate has the Audigy gamers and the sound quality is just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom