Networking Jobs

asahmed1

Beta member
Hi All,

I am new to the IT. I don't have a technical background, but I do have a Bachelors in Sociology. I want a change in career and want to become a Network engineer. I was thinking of pursuing a certificate in cisco's CCENT certificate. Is it a wise choice for me to do since I don't have a tech background? Or should I pursue a IT support technician certificate and gain experience before jumping into networking?

Please provide your best advice.

Thanks

First of all how old are you, most of those jobs go to right out of college younger types. Second I think certs are bs because they make you re-certify. Find out how often and if you are willing to start at the bottom somewhere, temp place or something, some places will tell you what certs they want you to have to move up and pay for it. Many of those jobs require different levels of clearance. To get most of the desired ones you need to answer questions about your whole life, some you take polygraph, doesn't seem like a way to go. Sociology imo is like the stepping stone before becoming a psychologist, maybe go that route? More money, constant flow of patients who can never heal, and you have been taught about groupthink and maybe can help some rich suburbanites get in touch and heal their pain, and work less and make more $$$ than some tech guy if you can even get hired.

Certs that require you to re-certify ensure you stay current. I don't think they're BS at all. A cert from 10 years ago will look ancient with today's tech. (Kubernetes? What's that?)

IT can also pay very well... I make a little over 3x the average household income in my city.

It's true the more "desirable" ones require clearances, but it isn't that bad. My girlfriend and I are both in the continuous monitoring program for our clearances. just be a regular human being (ie, don't talk to terrorist groups...) and it'll be fine. :tongue:

Personally I'd start with an IT generalist background -- That would give you a better picture of what's going on. It'll also get you hands on with a lot more tech. I started helpdesk, moved into a Linux systems admin role because of it.

Start off someplace new or fast paced... starting IT at a small mom and pop shop won't get you exposure to the latest tech.

I started in the space industry and am now in the defense industry. Pays very well.

Back
Top Bottom