Trying to figure out what to upgrade as a tech dummy.

Nickelius

Solid State Member
Hello friendos.

A little disclaimer. I know very little about actual hardware compatibility and which parts are better than others. (Except like 1060 -> 1070 -> 1080, because bigger numbers are better, right?)

Anyway. My current setup is:

ASUS B250M-A
Intel i5 7500 CPU
250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
16GB Corsair Vengeance PC 2400 RAM
ASUS Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Dual graphics card
Vision OC Series White Cabinet
Corsair VS 550

I have some money to fool around with, but I have no idea what'd give me most bang for my buck. Some people mentioned bottlenecking, etc.

The wide concensus is a great upgrade would be I7-7700 (But not K since no overclocking) with either a 1080, or a 2070. Does that sound about right, or would you wise tech gurus recommend something different?

Please send help. I'm lost in a jungle of words I do not understand.

What are you doing with this pc?
Are you into gaming? Running video editing or CAD?
If not then what you have looks o.k. already, even for some gaming.
SSD's have dropped drastically in price and I'm seeing 1TB SSD's going for just over $150. That might be something you'd like to consider

Oh yeah, my apologises, I should have mentioned that.

Its sole purpose is for gaming. It's running alright right now, but I'm worried that within a short span of time, it wont. I'd rather upgrade some bits and pieces while I have the funds, instead of getting annoyed further down the line.

A bigger SSD is definitely on the list as 250 is a pain.

How about CPU/GPU/PSU?

What resolution are you gaming at and what games are you playing? That's the big determining factor there.

Your 7500 should be fine but then again the 1060 6GB is also still great for 1080p gaming. Your SSD definitely needs an increase in size.

PSU is also fine.

One thing I will point out is even though you may not overclock it's still best to get the K CPU as it has higher clocks out of the box and they're typically not much more expensive than the non-K version.

I'm usually playing at 1920x1080 (If that's the resolution you mean). And I generally play somewhat low-cost games like CS:GO, Overwatch, but I occasionally play Apex Legends, PUBG and Path of Exile (Surprisingly taxing on my computer PoE).

I'll grab a 1TB SSD as a first. I figured maybe a 1070TI would do wonders? It's not just for the games right now, but also for future games. I'd rather not be worried about if I can run a game or not for a while :)

Edit: Duely noted. When I do upgrade my CPU, I'll make sure it has a K at the end.

Your motherboard has two M.2 slots. An upper tier M.2, such as Samsung 970 Evo/Evo+/Pro, WD Black, etc, have incredible transfer rates. I use an M.2 as my OS drive and have a standard SSD for a games drive, with a couple of mechanicals as mass storage.

Your motherboard has two M.2 slots. An upper tier M.2, such as Samsung 970 Evo/Evo+/Pro, WD Black, etc, have incredible transfer rates. I use an M.2 as my OS drive and have a standard SSD for a games drive, with a couple of mechanicals as mass storage.
I found the Samsung 970 500GB SSD for roughly 150 dollars as the cheapest. I guess an extra 500GB would go great. Thanks a bunch!

I'm usually playing at 1920x1080 (If that's the resolution you mean). And I generally play somewhat low-cost games like CS:GO, Overwatch, but I occasionally play Apex Legends, PUBG and Path of Exile (Surprisingly taxing on my computer PoE).

I'll grab a 1TB SSD as a first. I figured maybe a 1070TI would do wonders? It's not just for the games right now, but also for future games. I'd rather not be worried about if I can run a game or not for a while :)

Edit: Duely noted. When I do upgrade my CPU, I'll make sure it has a K at the end.
With that res and the games you play is an upgrade really needed right now or are you just bored?

Lowest Id do is an RTX 2070 which realistically only bumps you up to about 1080 performance.

With that res and the games you play is an upgrade really needed right now or are you just bored?

Lowest Id do is an RTX 2070 which realistically only bumps you up to about 1080 performance.
Little og A, little of B.

So no 1070TI, and maybe a I7-7700?

I would only consider a 10 series card if you're getting it used or really cheap. I got my 1070ti for only $150 USD so that's justifiable. It's also not much of an upgrade over a 1060 6GB that will justify the cost unless you OC it. Same goes for the 7700k since the 7500 wouldn't be a bottleneck for these cards on these games except CSGO if you're going for really high FPS.

Back
Top Bottom