WD red slow or not detected after power outage

I have the usb drive already
this drive failed suddenly without warning within 2 days of power failure.

WD red supposed to be a server drive that can handle access 24/7 and it lasted less than 2 years in a home computer. im somewhat disappointed

how can it **** up so badly from a power failure when 3 of my other regular desktop drives are still running from multiple power failures.

I guess the brand doesn't really matter anymore.
I used to have Seagate drives fail faster today's tide pod eating generation now Seagate seems to be good and WD is not so much

funny that I do have the livedisk on that failing drive lol along with every other hard drive recovery software...

I have the usb drive already
this drive failed suddenly without warning within 2 days of power failure.

WD red supposed to be a server drive that can handle access 24/7 and it lasted less than 2 years in a home computer. im somewhat disappointed

how can it **** up so badly from a power failure when 3 of my other regular desktop drives are still running from multiple power failures.

I guess the brand doesn't really matter anymore.
I used to have Seagate drives fail faster today's tide pod eating generation now Seagate seems to be good and WD is not so much
Red drives are NAS drives but not even enterprise drives are immune to sudden power failure. It's wise to invest a UPS for any machine that has data on it. More than likely it could have been under load or activity when the power went out causing those sectors to become bad.

I've been preaching the brand thing for years.

is it surface damage or corrupted data?
how can I tell?
I mean is it possible that the needle is damaged and scratching the surface?

If it wasn't introduced to any kind of shock then doubtful there's physical damage. That drive was probably in a read/write process when the power went out causing those areas to get ****ed up.

I've read someplace a long time ago that the alignment between the platters is crucial for the hdd operation, and if one of platters has a "slip" in relation to the other platters (power fail/power on) the drive will be toast

Last edited:
hmm

I also ordered wavlink docking station with clone button

should I try that? would that be more effective than trying with Linux?
i don't think the clone button even requires a PC its a standalone unit
or use that and copy with livecd?
just trying to see my best options

hmm

I also ordered wavlink docking station with clone button

should I try that? would that be more effective than trying with Linux?
i don't think the clone button even requires a PC its a standalone unit
or use that and copy with livecd?
just trying to see my best options
Copying manually with Linux will be your safest option. Don't know how the software on the dock you ordered handles bad sectors.

tried it with live cd and it wouldn't even open
with the docking station or connected internally

Back
Top Bottom