Potentially the longest thread in history...

I absolutely LOVE my new place. 40 hour work weeks... Every other Friday off... a really nice on site cafe that's walking distance from my classified desk... It's really nice.

^ I got used to the SpaceX 50-60 hour work weeks :lol: 40 feels like I'm perpetually on vacation

I'm finding increasing dissatisfaction with my old work ethic :p just feel..itchy kinda. I'm tired of wasting so much time doing completely unmemorable ****. I feel like if I'd been paying more attention over the last few years, my life could've been very very different. Not keen on letting so many opportunities slip by again due to laziness

I'm finding increasing dissatisfaction with my old work ethic :p just feel..itchy kinda. I'm tired of wasting so much time doing completely unmemorable ****. I feel like if I'd been paying more attention over the last few years, my life could've been very very different. Not keen on letting so many opportunities slip by again due to laziness

I think that is probably true of most white collar jobs, especially IT. I could've came straight out of my apprenticeship at 19 and just powered thru Cisco/Microsoft certs and be earning £70 to £80k right now, even more if I did contracting. But that is just not me and I don't beat myself up over it. Some people love powering through their career and they get that sweet monetary reward, and good for them. But mentally I just couldn't do it, I lack the confidence to have a fast moving career and I really hate the instability and anxiety around getting new jobs, doing tests, meeting new people. I have to do things a bit slower or i'll have a heart attack. It's been 5/6 years now and I feel like I am ready to progress into something new and move to a new city.

There's definitely a point to be made about setting your own pace and working within it, can't disagree there
I'd add tho that I think people definitely don't take all the best personal growths steps they could (even those only within their capabilities), even sometimes in the face of conscious recognition of this fact in the moment. How much of that is "you being you" vs just being lazy? I reckon I've been too lazy

Or to put it another way; is life worth hanging around for just to work a ****e job, have a ****e body, have ****e friends, and live every day monotonously covered in cheezles dust fraggin noobs in CS?
If I'm gonna stick around after all then **** it I guess, may as well try to aim for something better than that

Last edited:
There's definitely a point to be made about setting your own pace and working within it, can't disagree there
I'd add tho that I think people definitely don't take all the best personal growths steps they could (even those only within their capabilities), even sometimes in the face of conscious recognition of this fact in the moment. How much of that is "you being you" vs just being lazy? I reckon I've been too lazy

For me I am not sure if it is laziness. I guess you could interpret it as that, and for sure I am lazy in some aspects of life. But the main problem for me is that I am the opposite of studious. I am capable of doing well in exams and such, but I just can not concentrate when studying. I have friends that have no issue getting home after Uni or work and studying for 4 hours. I just couldn't do that, not so much because I can't be bothered, but I find it so insanely boring within 5 minutes I am desperate to do literally ANYTHING other than studying, so before I know it I am on my phone, browsing the web, on reddit etc. I am just very very poor at paying attention when i'm bored. Something has to really interest me to hold my attention. My dad even used to pay me £10 an hour to study after school when I was about 14. I still couldn't do it for more than 30 minutes even with money dangling in front of me.

If we used your situation as an example, I'd say the "I can't concentrate or study" part is a bit you're being lazy with. You certainly can concentrate, but you give in to the temptation to do something easier with basically no resistance, to the point that you are trying to tell me that doing so is just "who you are" as if you don't have a choice in it.

People like to chalk up others abilities to "oh they're just naturally good at that", which is friggin insulting to the person who's putting in far more hard yards than you to BE that good at that thing tbh. Whether that's a skill like basketball, or a skill like being able to apply yourself for long periods, it's something that comes with and gets better with practice; you won't ever get better if all you do is offer yourself constant excuses and accept those excuses instantly with a shrug towards "that's just not me".

In your case again, it's not like your phone magics itself into your hands and opens reddit for you...

Last edited:
Can't be brushed off as lazy, as there are psychological studies behind test anxiety and studying. There is also a connection and proof between that and your ability to concentrate and retain information in something you're interested in rather than not interested in.

Which is why I said this and this
How much of that is "you being you" vs just being lazy?

people definitely don't take all the best personal growths steps they could (even those only within their capabilities)

You can't dismiss ALL times that people avoid growth by hand waving toward test anxiety and making a vague implication that somehow being interested in something plays a pivotal part in your potential to remember it. It's coming across like you believe that you have to find the effort pleasant to bother continuing it or something :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom