Brand new to the site!

TechyB

Beta member
Hello everyone! Names Dakota and am new to Techist. Little about myself, I'm 21 years old, working as an IT assistant for a company called Ruby's. Living in Utah, I enjoy anything to do outdoors and anything to do computers (and video games). I've been building computers since I was 14 and fell in love with technology far before that when I was 8 year old. Dad got me a PS2 for Christmas and that little taste of technology kick-started my choice to pursue a career in IT. Im still fairly new to networking, and starting to understand Fiber Optics a bit more, but joined this forum to hopefully expand my overall knowledge on technology! Happy to be here and to hear what people have to share! What are some of your backgrounds and interests?

Welcome to the forums!

My first intro to tech was my dads' Windows 95 Compaq laptop -- We played Tiberian Sun on that way back in the day. That's what got me into IT and tech.

Now I'm a Sr. Linux systems administrator for a large US gov't defense contractor and a Linux security subject matter expert at the company.

My free time is spent an awful lot on programming (my focus this year is Python. Years past have seen web programming, php, node, and others) and on my home lab.

Wow, it's been a long time since i've played some Tiberian Sun. I actually am really good friends still with one of the lead programmers that worked for Wormwood Studios. Loved there games and was so sad to see them shut there doors a few years back!

I'm also an infant to programming, I've always wanted to learn to create my own video games, as my friend at Wormwood was a huge inspiriation, any help as to where to start?

If you are VERY new to programming, I would recommend learning either Python or Javascript. I learned javascript through Khan academy, they have great courses. They even have a few courses that focus on physics and game development. Once you learn the programming concepts (which you can do through any language), it will be relatively easy to learn new languages, like one from the C family if you want to get into game development. (Although fun fact, Unity now supports Javascript.) I currently have a subscription to Lynda.com, which also has great courses. (But is of course higher commitment since it costs monthly)

Currently I am a freelance web developer, but I too would love to learn game engines in the future.

If you live in utah time to get into snowboarding. Well, past time I guess but maybe next season, but all up in it. Utah is full of great places that you can access from salt lake. Brighton, Snowbird, they are all really fun.

Man my tech story begins so long ago I am embarrassed. I got to go to my cities gifted program when I was 12. They had computers there. We learned a lot. I made a choose your own adventure game by drawing the characters on paper in pencil, my friend made them show up better tracing with marker, then we used flatbed scanner and put them in mspaint to ad color with fill tool. Then used them as image tags in the html for the game.

We made another game that was in this weird environment called microsworlds, brb will check the internet to see if there is a fossil record...

Image1.gif

My game was a maze game, your basic number pad controls for up down left and right, and your character is a turtle, and win you win the maze his head comes out of his shell and he eats some lettuce or whatever I had for him there. I loved that place more than anything but like most good things it was not to last.

The best part was if we finished our "work" early, the teacher let us test the new chose your own adventure games he was writing to see if we could beat the levels and advance and if it was fun for us. It was haha, it was a murder mystery game that I remember like clue. That is where I learned about a plant called foxglove that has a poison digitalis in it. The game taught things too it was really cool.

Man there was no operating system to speak of and the computers were made by ibm if that tells you how long ago. The microworlds disk was on 5.25" floppy what you know about that sonny?

This video is great, it uses gopro on follow cam (a guy holding it and snowboarding next to the pro) but it seamlessly cuts back and forth to different terrain, the same terrain and different guys, and its a great video shows some really advanced snowboarding from some of the worlds best pros and places, really can't say enough good things about it. And it's short.

Back
Top Bottom