What You've Just Bought!

Over the past few days bought maybe 4 too 6 bottles of energy drink and tobacco products. Bought a £10 Lotto Instant Win and Won £100 .

Went on to Amazon last last night and bought this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Complete-Ultimate-TUTORIAL-controller/dp/B01IUY62RM

Lately and going on to a while now I've been complaining that I'm board of the same old stuff so thought I'd branch out and try something different. I'm going to set up my laptop on my dining room table with an internet connection in order to fully use the Arduino R3 .

I've been interested for a while in electronic components but never done anything about it so I'm pretty excited about this. Its a pretty comprehensive kit from the videos I have watched on YT and the searches I have done threw Google.

But can I ask.

Would it be worth while investing in a desoldering gun or kit and stripping down some of the computer systems I have for the electronic components. I'm not sure if I should also buy a soldering iron as well with some solder wire. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking if I can learn the components and get a desoldering gun I can strip down pretty much some of the older systems I have for the valuable parts.

Over the past few days bought maybe 4 too 6 bottles of energy drink and tobacco products. Bought a £10 Lotto Instant Win and Won £100 .

Went on to Amazon last last night and bought this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Complete-Ultimate-TUTORIAL-controller/dp/B01IUY62RM

Lately and going on to a while now I've been complaining that I'm board of the same old stuff so thought I'd branch out and try something different. I'm going to set up my laptop on my dining room table with an internet connection in order to fully use the Arduino R3 .

I've been interested for a while in electronic components but never done anything about it so I'm pretty excited about this. Its a pretty comprehensive kit from the videos I have watched on YT and the searches I have done threw Google.

But can I ask.

Would it be worth while investing in a desoldering gun or kit and stripping down some of the computer systems I have for the electronic components. I'm not sure if I should also buy a soldering iron as well with some solder wire. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking if I can learn the components and get a desoldering gun I can strip down pretty much some of the older systems I have for the valuable parts.

Electronics components are so cheap that I doubt it'd be worth going through with the project unless you specifically wanted a challenge

Electronics components are so cheap that I doubt it'd be worth going through with the project unless you specifically wanted a challenge

Are you talking about the project I'e just bought what I have linked or stripping down a full PC unit with a desoldering iron.

TV came, gotta say I love playing with 4K ~ 100% scaling for desktop use (on a 40"+ screen). Tempted to replace my two 1080p screens at work with a 4K screen that fits the same width.

Also, smart TVs aren't slow pieces of *** any more so that's good. Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube apps all go comfortably fast.

Been buying little bits for op recovery, like an HDMI 2.0 cable so I can do 4k@60p from my laptop.

TV came, gotta say I love playing with 4K ~ 100% scaling for desktop use (on a 40"+ screen). Tempted to replace my two 1080p screens at work with a 4K screen that fits the same width.

Also, smart TVs aren't slow pieces of *** any more so that's good. Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube apps all go comfortably fast.

Been buying little bits for op recovery, like an HDMI 2.0 cable so I can do 4k@60p from my laptop.

Most Smart TV's arn't bad but I still find an Nvidia Shield way better. That thing is crazy responsive. Nvidia really knocked it out of the park with the shield. Still gets regular updates to the latest versions of android, still the same old silky smooth and fast performance. The only bad thing is the remote is terrible, the battery dies within about 5 days whether I use it or not. I just use the Shield Remote app on my phone now.

Most Smart TV's arn't bad but I still find an Nvidia Shield way better. That thing is crazy responsive. Nvidia really knocked it out of the park with the shield. Still gets regular updates to the latest versions of android, still the same old silky smooth and fast performance. The only bad thing is the remote is terrible, the battery dies within about 5 days whether I use it or not. I just use the Shield Remote app on my phone now.
As much as I love the Shield man it kinda pisses me off sometimes. Plex app crashes all the time and there's this weird HDMI CEC thing going on where I play who's gonna shut itself off between my TV and Shield. Sometimes I'll turn the TV on and the Shield will turn on, then I move from an app to HDMI 1 and then the Shield turns itself off and I have to power cycle it before it comes back. Also, not sure why but surround sound between it and my TV acted funny. I honestly think I will probably move to an HTPC so I have full control over my audio and speed of the machine.

Speaking of surround I forgot to put in my previous post I bought some JBL rear speakers to compliment my NHT fronts.

As much as I love the Shield man it kinda pisses me off sometimes. Plex app crashes all the time and there's this weird HDMI CEC thing going on where I play who's gonna shut itself off between my TV and Shield. Sometimes I'll turn the TV on and the Shield will turn on, then I move from an app to HDMI 1 and then the Shield turns itself off and I have to power cycle it before it comes back. Also, not sure why but surround sound between it and my TV acted funny. I honestly think I will probably move to an HTPC so I have full control over my audio and speed of the machine.

Speaking of surround I forgot to put in my previous post I bought some JBL rear speakers to compliment my NHT fronts.

Yah it's a bit finicky, i've heard the Plex app isn't great on shield. Oh I did forget a major flaw with mine, it's HDMI HDCP is broken and anything other than 5+ year old TV's say HDCP error. So no 4K HDR streaming to my Sony X900F. Fortunately the lounge at home is only an old Sony 32" 1080p TV so it works okay on that.

Back
Top Bottom