Compatible RAM Sticks for laptop?

mikee

Fully Optimized
On cyber monday I bought an additional 8gb stick of ram for my laptop and installed it end of november. On the 10th of december I started getting random BSODs like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bsod ndis.sys wdiwifi.sys wdiwifi.sys+b5ba fffff800`f28e0000 fffff800`f29ac000 0x000cc000 0xd0815a78 11/6/2080 11:03:52 AM

and today I got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (more details in screenshot

I guess my big question is how do I know if 2 sticks are compatible with one and other?

info about installed ram is in screenshots. If it's not the newly installed ram then I guess it's a software issue.

I guess my big question is how do I know if 2 sticks are compatible with one and other so I know what to buy and not have issues?

There's nothing in the bios on this thing about RAM details other than it has 16gb. It is a very basic bios.

Looking at the earlier speccy screenshots the timings seem to be the same if I am not mistaken.

Due to the sticks being different the bios could be resolving to different JDEC settings for each kit. Also, that doesn't show subtimings which could be a mismatch. Short of testings each kit individually for stability there's not much you can do.

The kingston stick is what came with the computer. In the past I have had no issues with using mismatched ram in laptops or desktops even of different frequencies. The SKU of the stock ram seems to be an acer specific so matching it could prove difficult if not impossible.

I have not had a bsod for 2 days now but this issue is intermittent. One day I had 2 bsods inside of 2 hours then nothing for another 3 days then nothing for the past 2 days including today

Last edited:
Those first Ryzen cpu's were very finicky about memory.
Possibly... put the one memory stick in to be stable again and check the boards web site for any bios updates for memory compatibility

Back
Top Bottom