Keeping up to date

danhodge

In Runtime
I recently realized that I don't even slightly keep up to date with tech news. And I really ought to, being in the field and all.

So I wondered what websites/mediums everyone uses for keeping up? I don't mind if it's a physical magazine or a website, or if it's specific to certain parts of tech, i'm looking for everything pretty much.

I tried using Flipboard, but it has too much rubbish between all the good articles. If anyone uses a system like that, that'd be equally helpful!

As always, thanks for your help :angel:

Any suggestions for a couple of the right sources? I'm guessing Linus is up there?

Not really. My Twitter is lopsided with esports crap right now (entering giveaways and whatnot, personally I think the whole esport craze is nonsense). Most of my tech is weighted toward mobile devices currently. I still check out JayzTwoCents, Bitwit, Paul's Hardware, and several hardware vendors like Asus, MSI, etc though. I am mainly looking at consumer and enthusiast stuff/topics, not professional.

You could probably follow vendors that you use or know and then look to see who they follow.

I used to use dailyrotation.com and had quite a few select feeds there but haven't checked it out in quite a log time.

Oh okay, well I recognise Pauls Hardware there, used to watch him on Newegg, might give him a follow, thanks! :)

RSS feeds (probably 60+), podcasts, and reddit
Subreddits:
/r/sysadmin
/r/linux
/r/ubuntu
/r/centos
/r/debian
/r/privacy
/r/opensource
/r/linuxadmin
/r/itprofessionals
/r/redhat
/r/vmware
/r/selfhosted, etc

Reddit is a REALLY good resource for critical items / breaking news.

Podcasts:
TechSNAP
Late night Linux
Linux Action News
Ubuntu Podcast
Daily Tech News Show (more of a generic tech news podcast, very high level, nothing in detail)
Destination Linux
Command Line Heroes (more interesting stories than news)
Gestalt IT (a lot about trends in IT)
Linux Unplugged

My RSS feeds are more for generic tech (hackaday, engadget, slashdot, news about the big tech companies, ie google, apple, microsoft), etc

I'm a linux systems administrator. Lots of Linux related things :tongue:

For more technical trainings, I do:
READING! Read books. Currently studying for VCP, CISSP, and RHCE.
Linux Academy is great for Linux related things (including AWS, OpenStack, Kubernetes, etc)
My work has an online account with SkillSoft, another good resource for books and training videos / courses.

I've been looking for good podcasts recently, I'll certainly have to give them a shot (at least the none linux ones, my linux experience is severely limited :lol: )
To be fair, I'm doing an rpi project right now that could really benefit from understanding linux a little more, so i might take the dive.

Thanks for all the suggestions, that should keep me busy a while :)

Back
Top Bottom