Do I need a server?

Homeless_Shelter_IT

Beta member
Hello,

Sorry if this is a foolish question and thanks in advance for your time.

The boss wants to save money (shocking news right?) So he's looking at G Suite or 365 for file storage and email. Not as ideal as hosting, the boss understands, but since it will be free for us (as a not-for-profit) it has his attention.

Do I need a server for our other needs or are there other solutions? We have approximately 50 users that share approx. 30 Windows PCs. We share printers. Operate out of two buildings with a wireless bridge connecting them. Have 2 NVRs for a lot of cameras (they do allow remote viewing).

Obviously there is a lot I don't understand and (I'm sure) more information I should provide but I'm not a real IT person. If anyone can assist with info I would appreciate it.

And on the off chance our real IT person sees this; it's not that the boss doesn't believe you he just see savings and wants to be sure.

Thanks everyone.

GSuite would be an excellent start as far as handling emails, calendars, and simple storage.

Need more info for the rest.
Are your printers all network printers? How are they shared at the moment?
Do your NVRs have their own inbuilt storage and is it adequate for your needs?
What size file storage do you need? Do you need structured access (e.g. allow user X access but not user Y for folders ABC).

Thank you for your reply.

Almost all of our printers are shared, some on our current server but others shared through the hosting PC. I don't imagine it would be a problem to move the server based ones to connect to a PC and share from there.
The NVRs do have their own storage (they are really new, just finished install this week so I don't know if the storage is enough but I assume if not, there would be other, non-server solutions we could pursue).
We are knocking on a couple of TB total file storage and do need structured access. We aren't opposed to paying for a couple of user accounts with Microsoft or G-Suit to give us the storage space we need.

Back
Top Bottom