Are WD media players a thing of the past?

Crystymre

Beta member
I keep running into the same problems with every major video project.

Most recently I lost my TB hard drive, went and bought a new 4 TB which the media player will not read. Some forums say that the hard drive is too large for the player to detect.

A lot of times I have videos that are also not supported by this media player.

Im looking for a quick simple solution.

Likely I could just convert the files, and just buy a smaller hard drive but Im starting to think that file types and technology have surpassed this delightful little piracy device.

I need a surefire means of PLAYING my videos on either dumb or smart TVs. Am very open to suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plex or Emby media server running on your PC. Then you can download the apps onto your devices (if supported...Plex has more widespread support than Emby at the moment). For dumb TV's, use something like a Roku, FireTV/FireTV Stick, or Chromecast and play the videos through one of those devices.

They support transcoding at either the server or letting the devices play the files natively, if they support the codec used.

I have a Plex server and use Roku's attached to various TVs thru out the house. I am very happy with this setup.

I can access my Plex server from the Rokus as said, but can also access from PC/laptop, tablet or phone, from wherever I have an internet connection. There are Plex clients available for many different platforms.

Hi, I would purchase JRMC, it can scan & play all 4TB, I have a 4TB External Seagate HDD(3,6TB in reality)filled completely with Lossless music files.
It took JRMC about 2 hours & then I could play all my media inclusive Video files in various formats.;)
I also have Plex, & that is another good option.(y)

Back
Top Bottom