First PC build won't boot

Zman350x

Baseband Member
I built my first PC and plugged it in... lights and fan came on... monitor blank.

NOTE: This PC is new and has no OS/software

Video of PC attached with an attempted boot/plugging in, the PSU doesn't have a switch so everything comes on immediately.

Specs

Fractal Design Focus G case(red, Mid-tower)
EVGA 400 W PSW
Samsung 250GB storage
Intel dq67sw motherboard(micro ATX)
2x 4GB RAM(8GB Total, Ripjaw, DDR3)
Intel Core i5 CPU
CoolerMaster Hyper212x CPU Cooler
TP-Link N900 PCI-E wifi card
EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 low profile GPU

Other

Monitor connected with DVI
Samsung Monitor
Wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse

EDIT: Sorry the Video is vertical :facepalm:

Last edited:
Okay, let's do a few things here. First, unplug ALL of your connections from the power supply going to the internal components. Now, plug that power supply into the wall. Does the power supply kick on? If it does, it's bad. If not, next step.

Now, if the PSU is good, can you get some pictures that are well lit, not blurry, and high quality? It appears that you have some motherboard connections incorrectly plugged in. A PC shouldn't power on as soon as you plug it in. Mainly, I'm looking for pictures of the power button cable that goes into the motherboard. I want to see that you have those plugged into the correct slots.

Also, I noticed that it appears you have your DVI cable plugged into the onboard DVI port. Make sure you have it in the graphics card instead, not that this part matters at the moment with the other issues, however.

Let's start with the test, then the photos and go from there.

Also, I noticed that it appears you have your DVI cable plugged into the onboard DVI port. Make sure you have it in the graphics card instead, not that this part matters at the moment with the other issues, however.

Let's start with the test, then the photos and go from there.

I'd start with this, personally. OP says lights and fans come on, just a blank monitor.

k, thanks, PSU doesn't come on when nothing is plugged in, so that's good. I used the port from the graphics card instead, same problem as before. Will get photos soon.

Photos #1-5

Attachments

• Mobo1.jpg
    Mobo1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SSD.jpg
    SSD.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Mobo2.jpg
    Mobo2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Mobo3.jpg
    Mobo3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
Take GPU out (plug monitor into onboard slot), unplug any HDDs from the board, make sure 24pin is seated ALL the way in, and the 4pin CPU connector, take far right RAM stick out, pull the jumper above the black SATA ports for 30 seconds then replace onto pin 1 and 3 (where it was) and try that.

You also didn't state which exact model of i5 you have in this board. We will need this, and the specs of the RAM.

Found the processor listing on eBay that I bought it from, here is what I copied:

Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz 6MB 5GT/s SR0T7 LGA1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Same with the RAM but on Newegg:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Ok, know of any $50ish decently good quad cores that will work?

EDIT: (I'd like to stay under $100, but closer to 50)

Back
Top Bottom