Can someone help with an over view of Linux.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Am I correct in thinking Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu and Ubuntu is based off Debian. However LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is directly based off Debian and Debian appeared way back in the early 1990's ?

What is Unix. If I install Ubuntu Server on my home Server. What would the benefit be over Unix. Is their sub flavors of Unix and how many different types of "Linux" is their or "Unix" .

Can someone please clarify.

Scrap this please, the question as I've answered it my self (I think.)

From what I can tell and have learned reading Linux is a separate OS to Windows and Windows and Linux is separate to UNIX. Ubuntu being community driven and Debian being originally developed from the ground up is "UNIX Like" were as one and the same.

Open Source does not mean Free it means Open Source. You can View and read the contents of the Code for a given OS and various Library's ect; but not modify them.

Going back to the 1960's when UNIX was developed and the early 1990's for Linux they share similar things in common such as various GUI but also from what I have read their is movement towards UNIX becoming a more freely distributed OS.

I'm not 100% on that but it answers my question.

Open Source does not mean Free it means Open Source. You can View and read the contents of the Code for a given OS and various Library's ect; but not modify them.

That is incorrect. You can absolutely modify open source software. That's the literal definition of open source. Open source software is also typically free.

Dictionary.com said:
adjective
1. Computers. pertaining to or denoting software whose source code is available free of charge to the public to use, copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute.

2. pertaining to or denoting a product or system whose origins, formula, design, etc., are freely accessible to the public.

Source: Dictionary

Indeed we all start from the bottom bud! I apologize for the response, too. Somebody else necro'd the thread, and I kinda just ran with it. LoL...

Back
Top Bottom