Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - New work PC

Click Here to Login
Thread: New work PC
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
PP Mguire
Build Guru

Default Re: New work PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerinpa View Post
No question the SSD's are much more affordable these days. However, since it's a work PC= QuickBooks, Word , internet search, publisher, no gaming, minimal video, so I don't NEED a SSD.
I get the sentiment, but it's 2018. Everybody needs an SSD and the quicker HDDs are dropped for regular usage and storage the better. At work the older machines we use (and by older I mean Haswell era HPs) still use WD 500GB Blues. No gaming, little internet, no Youtube etc and after a month of usage I bought my own 850 EVO for it and cloned it over. Even work machines benefit from instant response times, not to mention SSDs can have a much longer life span in terms of repetitive usage. It's nice to click an Excel document and it comes up instantly, no lag in Outlook, no issues with large Onenote notebooks, little to no reduction in system responsiveness due to LMI imaging bloat, and no incremental slow down over time due to fragmentation. Just turn the machine on and it's always fast.

At the end of the day it's your money and you can obviously chose what's best for your needs but I firmly stand by no machine using a HDD for a boot drive for any application.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.