Router recommendations for a Gigabit connection

ASUS' higher end models would be a good bet, ($130 to $200) don't go silly nilly though on features and keep the firmware updated!

But, Midnight does have a good point, take note of all the wifi channels being used around you, and set your wifi up so you're using the least noisy channel.

Hey, thanks for posting the question krazyq,

I'm looking for a Router my self. Something without WiFi, VPN based and feature rich and preferably CISCO.

Any recommendations.

Thanks.

EDIT: I know I have preferred CISCO in this thread but please don't come out with something like a 3 grand singing and dancing all saving grace piece of hardware.

Keep it reasonable please.

Thanks.

Last edited:
So basically confirming what I already said. Neighbor has a Nighthawk, it's a total pile. On paper they look good but that's all they're meant to do. I tried telling him not to get it but the people around me in my neighborhood just don't know me well enough to take my opinion on a whim. That's fine, they'll learn lol. He's already asked to piggyback off me as it is so I'll probably have a Ubiquiti direct wireless link to his house in the near future.

Here's another thing. If you dislike the firmware that much on any of those routers, use an open source firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT. The hardware is fine on all of those routers. Just keep in mind that if you brick it by using unapproved firmware, you're on your own.

Spud, I would recommend that you stay away from Linksys products. First, they are not made by Cisco anymore and second, even when they were, they had gone downhill for quite some time. Their commercial line is good, but the home line... not so much. I would still recommend Asus for the brand over the rest.

Take note, I work in one of the few returns centers for one of the largest retailers on the planet, so I have a pretty good idea of what's being returned and is essentially junk based on the return volume compared to other things of the same nature.

I always love to get perspective from somebody in a position like this, though I would ask you to keep in mind that if a particular brand sells more than the rest, you will also see it returned more than the rest. I don't know what the actual sales figures look like for each brand, but that's something to think about. If Netgear sells twice what Asus does and they both have a 2% failure rate, you'll see twice the number of Netgears coming back.

Here's another thing. If you dislike the firmware that much on any of those routers, use an open source firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT. The hardware is fine on all of those routers. Just keep in mind that if you brick it by using unapproved firmware, you're on your own.

Spud, I would recommend that you stay away from Linksys products. First, they are not made by Cisco anymore and second, even when they were, they had gone downhill for quite some time. Their commercial line is good, but the home line... not so much. I would still recommend Asus for the brand over the rest.
That's the deal, for your everyday average user they shouldn't need a custom firmware just to having a solid functioning router.

I always love to get perspective from somebody in a position like this, though I would ask you to keep in mind that if a particular brand sells more than the rest, you will also see it returned more than the rest. I don't know what the actual sales figures look like for each brand, but that's something to think about. If Netgear sells twice what Asus does and they both have a 2% failure rate, you'll see twice the number of Netgears coming back.
Not necessarily, and return rates don't necessarily mean they're failed units either. In the case of Amazon, people like to abuse their return policy like it's their meat. Don't like it for 2 seconds? Just return it. It could also be the reverse, where brand A could sell more but still have less returns than brand B. I don't really have a problem with the various Netgear dummy switches I have around, but every one of their routers I've had the displeasure of dealing with have been total junk. Linksys is a whole different ballpark for me, I refuse to even look at them. Last good Linksys device was the WRT54G.

All of this boils down to exactly why I hate consumer networking products. They're all equally ****.

People do abuse the returns system, heavily, and those people eventually get barred, along with all associated accounts, and can never shop from us again. If we notice a new account in the system that is associated, it will eventually be blocked as well.

I hope no one here abuses the system, it's wrong, and costs other people their hard earned money. Don't be like these idiots for certain. https://nypost.com/2017/10/02/couple-steals-1-2-million-from-amazon-in-return-scheme/

As far as the sales/returns ratio... I can't talk about that. Last thing I need is getting canned.

But, you can tell there is something wrong with a particular product based upon returns alone. Whether it's faulty, or people don't like it doesn't really matter. If the majority of a people dislike a product and I get a high return rate on that product, why would I recommend such a product to another person that could have the same tastes as the majority when it comes to things like this?

I am willing to bet that Netgear and ASUS have similar sales rates as far as routers go. ASUS could potentially be higher as well seeing as it's become a more recognized brand name these days.

Last edited:
I got an obviously refurbed monitor at new price, manhandled bezel, dead pixels, nasty hand prints, and still didn't return. I'm one of those that if I get a big item I might need to return I'll just buy local so I can return it same day.

Tbh the average joe doesn't know Asus exists mostly. I'm sure Asus pushes a ton of product but Netgear is still a much wider known brand, especially for networking.

Maybe around there, but most all the big box stores are carrying almost all ASUS now and almost nothing as far as Netgear goes, you can completely forget anything Linksys around these parts.

Really what local stores will carry is going to depend a lot on a region by region basis. But any time you look up reviews or popular routers, ASUS tends to be on that list, so surely by now typical Joe knows of ASUS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom