Windows 7 or Windows 10?

mdecker1997

Beta member
Hello! I have a homebuilt computer that needs a new operating system, and I'm debating on if I want to install Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 10 on it.

Some of the parts are a little outdated since they came from older computers I had that still had good parts, however I have been running it with 7 for the past year and a half with no hardware problems. I am asking because my OS is having a lot of issues and needs a fresh installation.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 (I have an AMD A6-3600 series that I'm debating on switching it out with)
RAM: 12.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 599MHz
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 PLUS
Graphics: 2260W
ASUS VS228​
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670​
Storage: 698GB Western Digital WDC WD75(2)
931GB Seagate ST310005​

Which would be better to run on this PC? Thanks in advance!

Be warned that windows 10 has a considerably different user interface than windows 7. I enjoyed the app store that windows 10 provided, I enjoyed some few games. However this stopped working after a while, unfortunately. I think, possibly, due to malware or heat damaging some components (too many games , haha). But sorry for going slightly OT.

I read about the process of windows app store approval. It seems a fairly secure process according to this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/secure-windows-app-store/
However, this is not fool-proof. There have been cases of malicious iPhone apps breaking through into the app store.

Also, as per the best answer provided here: Does Windows 10 use more ram than 7? - [Solved] - Windows 10
win 10 uses ram differently to win 7, in 2 ways.

"1 When you close a program, instead of dumping all the data directly onto your hdd, it compresses it into ram so if you open the same program again, it will be much faster to load. This is cleared out on a restart so its not always waiting for you. It is also emptied if PC actually needs that ram for you

2. Because Win 10 uses fast startup, when it is turned off by you shutting PC off, it actually just goes into hibernate. Half your open program data is saved to page file, the other half to ram so when you start PC, its really only loading half the amount of info compared to a fresh startup on win 7 which has to load it all off hdd."

I'm not an expert, but I would say it's safe to install windows 10 since you have a considerable amount of RAM, with low RAM however windows 10 may be buggier due to how windows 10 RAM works but I may be wrong here.

Note that windows 10 is still supported as a 64-bit or 32-bit installation. If your cpu supports, I suggest going for 64-bit as this has additional security features.

Be warned that windows 10 has a considerably different user interface than windows 7. I enjoyed the app store that windows 10 provided, I enjoyed some few games. However this stopped working after a while, unfortunately. I think, possibly, due to malware or heat damaging some components (too many games , haha). But sorry for going slightly OT.

Classic shell will let you have a Win7 style start menu (or even an XP style one) on Windows 10 and/or 8.

Near as I can recall, that only works for 6 months when Microsoft decides it time for a new version and all your personal settings are gone into oblivion once again
I will let you know if this is the case.
Forgot to mention this, Trotter, but with regards to the Classic Shell, are the new features of windows 10 in the start menu e.g. Cortana still available ?

No clue. I killed Cortana right after I installed. I want no part of it.

No clue. I killed Cortana right after I installed. I want no part of it.

Yeahh, I don't like Cortana either. In fact I have OS X, bcoz I need a laptop, I much prefer the trackpad in OS X, you can click anywhere. If I remember correctly, one of the laptop manufacturers is trying to imitate macbooks' trackpads. Wonder if they'll get sued... sorry for going OT.

To the OP, I would make sure drivers are available for the board you are using in Windows 10. I also don't see how you'd have 12GB of RAM in single channel.

I read about the process of windows app store approval. It seems a fairly secure process according to this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/secure-windows-app-store/
However, this is not fool-proof. There have been cases of malicious iPhone apps breaking through into the app store.

Also, as per the best answer provided here: Does Windows 10 use more ram than 7? - [Solved] - Windows 10
win 10 uses ram differently to win 7, in 2 ways.

"1 When you close a program, instead of dumping all the data directly onto your hdd, it compresses it into ram so if you open the same program again, it will be much faster to load. This is cleared out on a restart so its not always waiting for you. It is also emptied if PC actually needs that ram for you

2. Because Win 10 uses fast startup, when it is turned off by you shutting PC off, it actually just goes into hibernate. Half your open program data is saved to page file, the other half to ram so when you start PC, its really only loading half the amount of info compared to a fresh startup on win 7 which has to load it all off hdd."

I'm not an expert, but I would say it's safe to install windows 10 since you have a considerable amount of RAM, with low RAM however windows 10 may be buggier due to how windows 10 RAM works but I may be wrong here.

Note that windows 10 is still supported as a 64-bit or 32-bit installation. If your cpu supports, I suggest going for 64-bit as this has additional security features.
How does the iPhone have anything to do with the Windows store exactly?

And the RAM thing you explained is called Superfetch. It's just a much better version that we saw in 7 and Vista.

Classic shell will let you have a Win7 style start menu (or even an XP style one) on Windows 10 and/or 8.
Windows 10 has a start menu and it's not bad. This was more of a necessary evil for those that actually used 8 and 8.1

Btw, i find automatic updates on windows 10 very annoying, you can't defer updates like earlier versions of windows. That is 1 reason i switched to mac, however i did not realize you can make them manual or disable these updates:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10/amp
This is outdated, Microsoft runs checks and has a scheduled task to make sure updates are enabled. I'm still testing but so far you can disable this by turning off the check on the recovery tab portion of the update service.

To the OP, I would make sure drivers are available for the board you are using in Windows 10. I also don't see how you'd have 12GB of RAM in single channel.

And the RAM thing you explained is called Superfetch. It's just a much better version that we saw in 7 and Vista.

Windows 10 has a start menu and it's not bad. This was more of a necessary evil for those that actually used 8 and 8.1

This is outdated, Microsoft runs checks and has a scheduled task to make sure updates are enabled. I'm still testing but so far you can disable this by turning off the check on the recovery tab portion of the update service.

If the iPhone's app store is not totally foolproof-ly secure, not is windows likely to be. But since windows app store requires approval of stuff, and I remember getting a bunch of free games, etc. that's a positive

"What they forget is that the Cache filled by SuperFetch and the standard caching mechanism runs on a lower priority; in other words, memory requests by applications will always supersede SuperFetch." from http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/SuperFetch_How_it_Works_Myths
realized i was wrong in saying that low ram is disadvantageous in this case, whoops!

Why was it better in 7 and Vista? Seems like I can't trust the "best answer" on a forum, as the info i found on other sites support what you said with regards to superfetch. Pretty sure superfetch is the same concept, no matter what the OS.

Back
Top Bottom