Installing Win98 and partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavlyk

Banned
Ok here's the story: I created another partition in order to install Windows 98. Don't ask me why I need to install Iwndows 98, let's just say because of incompatibility. Anyways, this partition which I created (Z:), will I be able to install Windows 98 safely without overwriting the Xp partition? Thanks everyone.

screen4.jpg

"Pump That Beeeeans..."

If you're installing within the crucibles of DOS mode, (Whitch is the only way you can install it,) It will prompt you with a path that would lead you to: C:/Windows/. So replace the letter "C:", With letter "Z:". ;) After installing in the "Z:" drive, there should be a black screen with white letters that has a choice between: "Microsoft Windows", and "Windows XP Professional (And\or Home)". So no, It shouldn't overwrite the Windows XP partition. :cool:

Wow, that guide has way too many steps and is way too complicated. I would try it my way Pavlyk.

Backup all stuff on C:

Leave your XP NTFS as it is. Run the 98setup using the bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com to load the CD-rom drivers.

Check wich drive is your Z:/> partition by going trough a:, c: d: etc
Type "dir" each time and make sure you know wich driveletter is assigned to your 7GB (z:) partition. I guess it will become c: under DOS.

Type "setup" at the a:/> or the Cd-ROm's driveletter.

Install windows, make sure it installs to the correct path/driveletter/partition.

Reboot and see if XP detects both installations. If not, boot the XP disk, ente recovery console ("R") and type "fixboot"

Reboot and it should detect both windows.

I am not 100% sure about this way,but it should work :D

You can always try the guide intercodes posted if you want to make sure.

BTW, Your partition is crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary. As far as I know (just did a google) your BIOS supports booting partitions that are located behind the 1024th cylinder. I hope the XP bootloader does not have anyproblems booting 98. U should either create PM floppies or have an XP disk to be able to set the XP partition to "active" if 98 changes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom