Motherboard Suggestion

rhu1949

Daemon Poster
Not sure where this should be posted, but this seemed close.

I've been having issues with my PC (hit power, fans spin for about a second and then computer shuts down, repeat over and over till I kill the power) and this weekend I tested voltages to see if I could narrow down what was happening because I was thinking either motherboard or PSU. Now I am fairly certain that my motherboard is dead.

Based on this limited information, am I correct? Is there something else I could check to verify? Assuming it is actually dead, does anyone have a suggestion on an 1150 socket motherboard for ~$100? My case is a Corsair Spec M2.

Semi-dumb suggestions, but have you reset the CMOS yet? Also, have you disconnected the PSU power cable, pushed the power button, and then reconnected and tried it? Old school stuff but it can work from time to time.

Do you get any system speaker beeps? The system behaviour is pretty partial to a main hardware problem. Bad OC, board not detecting a RAM stick or both restricting post, CPU went bad, not detecting GPU, or board is actually bad. I'd try what Trotter suggest and if that doesn't work try individual sticks of RAM at a time in each slot while having your monitor plugged up to the IGP (board ports) and 970 taken out.

Thanks for the replies. I will give your suggestions a try and get back to you, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sounds like you are having the same issues I was having last month.

My thread

Friend ran a cleaner on my pc that checked registry for errors, that fixed my issues in my case.

His PC doesn't boot at all. It's failing at post.

Mine didn't either. It deteriorated to not being able to boot at all to a constant patter of power on for 3 seconds then auto shut-down and restarts. Was luck that I got it to boot, and then it was on a timer till it crashed and the cycle repeated.

Mine didn't either. It deteriorated to not being able to boot at all to a constant patter of power on for 3 seconds then auto shut-down and restarts. Was luck that I got it to boot, and then it was on a timer till it crashed and the cycle repeated.
The problem being the registry in Windows wouldn't cause issues with the machine posting. The only way this could happen is if you had a residual RAM virus/malware, or something on the machine messed with settings in the bios. So that being said unplugging the drive, pulling the power cable for a minute, then turning on the machine it should post without issue if nothing is wrong with the hardware. I just fixed a computer for a client that was doing the exact same thing. They brought the machine to me with the PSU not screwed in (so hanging there) and told me they think the PSU and board is dead. The only thing dead in the entire machine was the CPU fan mounted to the AIO rad which was caked full of cig smoke dust. Literally all I did was replaced the fan, moved the RAM to the proper DIMM slots, and screw the PSU in. The machine posted and blue screened at boot. In the bios I changed IDE to AHCI and bam machine fixed.

Every instance like this could be something different so it's all trial and error.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Wish I had been able to get back to you all sooner. Alas, none of them resolved the issue.

What's next?

Back
Top Bottom