Windows 10 HyperV to Server 2016 - Non Domain

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello all. I recently set up a Windows Server 2016 that I am running my HyperV hosts on. I'm trying to get it so I am able to manage and control those hosts from my Windows 10 machine. I had previously changed some settings in Server 2016 in hopes of getting it working correctly but failed. I finally found the guide (Remotely Manage a Non-Domain Hyper-V Server from Windows 10) and which everything worked correctly. When I try connecting to the server from Windows 10 HyperV management, I keep getting prompted with "Enable Delegation of user credentials?" This computer is not configured to allow delegation of user credentials. Do you want to allow delegation of user credentials to SERVER? Upon clicking Yes, it keeps popping up repeatedly asking the same question and clicking Yes doesn't seem to be working. I rebooted both the Server and my Windows 10 machine and still having same error continually popping up. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Am I understanding this correctly that you want to manage the VMs on the Server 2016 machine from the virtual management console on the Windows 10 machine? If this is so, I did not know this is possible and now want to do it myself. Give me some time to sleep on it and experiment with my own setup (since I too am not domain controlled) and I'll get back to you.

Ok I figured it out after my nap.

It's pretty dumb but it works and thanks for letting me know this is a thing.

On your target server (the VM host) open Powershell with admin and run winrm quickconfig

Do what it asks (both machines need to be on a network type other than public).

After that paste this

winrm set winrm/config/client ‘@{TrustedHosts="machineA"}'

Change machineA to your server name or local IP address. (Leave all quotation in the commannd).

After that repeat the exact process (still using server name) on your destination PC (the Windows 10 box). Once you do that, open up virtual management and try connecting to the server. Take note I am using the same user name on both my server and remote management machine. If your server and remote manager has different credentials you will need to connect as another user and use the credentials of the admin user on your server.

Thanks, PP Mguire. It's actually VERY handy when it does work correctly. After I originally posted, I finally got it working after trying a lot of different commands and such and feel like I screwed something up because now Server 2016 is constantly rebooting by itself every so often. I'm going to rebuild the server from scratch and try the above after it's done. Thanks for the tip! Cheers mate.

Back
Top Bottom