Local Admins Group - Domain

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello all. So I am working on an IT project that involves removing all local user admins from the local admins group in a domain environment. I created a GPO to wipe out all of the existing admin users/groups and then I re-added the necessary IT admin groups back in as local admins. I'm wondering how I can run a script for every single computer to make sure the GPO happened and their user account was wiped out? We have about 60 PC's that I need to check and it would be a pain in the a$$ to do a remote computer management and look through every single computer. It would be nice if there was some software (free) or a powershell script to query all the PC's and verify all local admins. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-remote-machine-members-bc5faa57

If you want to check all the PCs in an OU you could combine it with something like this - just change the searchbase to as broad or specific an OU as you'd like

Code:
function get-localadmin {  
param ($strcomputer)  

$admins = Gwmi win32_groupuser –computer $strcomputer   
    $admins = $admins |? {$_.groupcomponent –like '*"Administrators"'}  

$admins |% {  
        $_.partcomponent –match “.+Domain\=(.+)\,Name\=(.+)$” > $nul  
        $matches[1].trim('"') + “\” + $matches[2].trim('"')  
    }  
}

$PCList = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Marketing,OU=Computers,dc=domain,dc=local" -Filter "*" | select -ExpandProperty Name

foreach ($PC in $PCList){
        if (Test-Connection -ComputerName $PC -Quiet -Count 1){
            get-localadmin $PC
        }
}

Last edited:
Awesome, looks like that's working so far. How would I go about exporting the results into a csv or text file for easier readability once the script completes? Thanks again!

Code:
function get-localadmin {  
param ($strcomputer)  

$admins = Gwmi win32_groupuser –computer $strcomputer   
    $admins = $admins |? {$_.groupcomponent –like '*"Administrators"'}  

$admins |% {  
        $_.partcomponent –match “.+Domain\=(.+)\,Name\=(.+)$” > $nul  
        $matches[1].trim('"') + “\” + $matches[2].trim('"')  
    }  
}

$PCList = Get-ADComputer -SearchBase "OU=Computers,dc=domain,dc=local" -Filter "*" | select -ExpandProperty Name
$list = @()
foreach ($PC in $PCList){
        if (Test-Connection -ComputerName $PC -Quiet -Count 1){
            $result = get-localadmin $PC

$obj = [pscustomobject]@{            
            Workstation = $PC
            Local_Admins = ($result | Out-String).Trim()
            }
            $list += $obj
        }
}
$list | Export-Csv -Path "c:\temp\LocalAdmins.csv" -NoTypeInformation

Note for this to show up properly in Excel, you have to go Format Cells >Alignment and set Vertical to "Top" instead of "Bottom". Otherwise it'll look like each cell in "Local_Admins" column only has one entry.

Alternatively, change this line:

Local_Admins = ($result | Out-String).Trim()

to:

Local_Admins = $result -join ', '

And it'll just output the list in one ling string separated by a comma and space.

Back
Top Bottom