K7S5A Motherboard Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennisk

Beta member
K7S5A Motherboard

I just purchased a K7S5A Pro MB and it will not recognize my Athalon XP 1800 CPU as anything other than "Athalon "Unknown" 1100," Is this a bad board or would a Bios update fix it?

Sounds like a BIOS update should fix your problem. If you have an early revision board, they sometimes wouldn't recognize the AthlonXP chips by their proper name. Also double check in your BIOS setup that you have your FSB set to the correct value (133/266) as this board ships at 100/200 by default.

ITS THE BOARD IT SUCKS I HAVE IT!!!!!!! IT USES A SIS CHIPSET AND ALL IT SUCKS ALL AROUND WOOHOO THIS IS LETTING SOME ANGER GO!!!GET A NEW BOARD LIKE I AM GOIN TO

ok have you overclocked? what ram do you use? fhow much ram do you have? what kind of ram do you have?

If there's one valid complaint about the K7S5A it's that you're very limited when it comes to overclocking. However, CheepoMan's hacked BIOS gives you a few options, and yes I did overclock.. I had my 1600+ running at 1540mhz and it was rock solid.

As for RAM, I ran several different memory configs on my K7S5A. First off I had 256mb of generic PC2100 (which worked flawlessly), then I added 512mb of Kingston PC3200 (and it continued to work fine), then I swapped out the 256mb with another 512mb stick for a total of 1gb of PC3200. I never experienced any kind of problems with any of these configurations, even when overclocking.

One thing that you might want to look into if you're having trouble with this board is your power supply. I found with my old generic 300w PSU I had plenty of problems, but when I installed a nice Enermax 350w, everything worked just fine.

Hey, I've got this mobo in one of my machines, yup its dead cheap, but I can't fault it, its never let me down and rock solid. Sure by todays standards its old hat but who cares?

I got the board for a cheapo upgrade that would let me use SDR mem until I had some more wonga to get DDR (when DDR was still expensive). Still using it now about 2 years on (with DDR).

Some Success, thanks

I did the BOIS upgrade, but nothing apparent changed. I then changed the setting to 133/133 as suggested. The MB boot now reads "Athalon 1700+." Not quite the 1800 I was looking for. Next I'll see if there is a 133/266 option to try.;)

Hello !
I use to have a K7s5a MB with an Athlon XP 1800+ too.
First the MB recognize my cpu as a athlon 1100 Mhz.
Without any bios update I set 133/133 and the MB detected my Cpu as an Athlon XP 1800+, not Athlon xp 1700+, so it should works with you too. It's strange...

Lost USB 2.0

I have been using the board for about 5 months. Was using the usb port that is on the back of the motherboard (2.0) for my printer. It was working fine. Then yesterday it quite working. tried uninstalling and reinstalling and its like the usb 2.0 is not working. I tried plugging the printer into the front panel usb (1.1) and it recognized it right away and prints fine. Am wondering why the usb in the back quite working. tried plugging ina camera and it does not see it ether. Its like the 4 ports are is dead .
Any help will be appreciated.
Marv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom