Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could definately see the difference between the two as i had two P4's that were exactly the same spec throughout , even from the same manufacturer ( DELL ) only one had sdram and one had rdram , the sdram machine definatly was slower in all the benchmark tests i ran.

UK-CD'Z said:
I could definately see the difference between the two as i had two P4's that were exactly the same spec throughout , even from the same manufacturer ( DELL ) only one had sdram and one had rdram , the sdram machine definatly was slower in all the benchmark tests i ran.

Ah, synthetic benchmark tests... well anyway I was referring to real-world applications above. :)

Usually not much of a huge difference can be seen when running apps such as 3D Studio MAX, M$ Word, etc.

The other reason to go with an AMD is that intel is a big bully company (like Microsoft). I don't like to support big bullies if I don't have to.

Pentium right now

Until the HAMMER comes out the pEntium 4 is the best processor out there because its got more cache, it uses MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH less heat than the AMD core, and the price is............eh.... ok. Now, i am not biased really, honestly you can't go wrong with either processor for EXTREME performance, but if you get REALLY technical, the pentium hands down. For now.......

_| [] |-| /\/ said:
Spot on. Stick with the athlon. A 1.4Ghz athlon can run 50 ish % faster than a 2Ghz P4.

a 1.4ghz athlon does not run 50ish % faster then a p4 2ghz. it runs at the speed of a 1.6ghz P4. but a 1.67ghz athlon will run equal or a little better then a P4 2ghz.
and amds are alot cheaper:)

ATHLON,HANDS DOWN,

I HAVE A AMD 1.4 OVERCLOCKED TO 1.6,AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT.AND JUST TO LET PEOPLE KNOW ,AMD'S REALLY DONT GET THAT HOT,BUT YES THEY DO RUN WARMER THAN A PENTIUM.I HAVE ONLY USED AMD'S AND THERE'S A REASON FOR IT,BETTER PRODUCT FOR LESS MONEY.THAT SUMS IT UP FOR ME.

it seems im outnumbered but i dont seem how there can be any comparison pentium is better (although more expensive) athlons are cheaper for a reason (mainly because of one of the cache sizes) although ive heard that the x4 archetecture thingy is faster than competing cpu's but i would still buy a pentium if i had the money.(also pentiums have more transistors if i remember right) hope nobody thinks of this as a flame though!!!!

AMD

Looks like the majority likes AMD best huh? ... and there is a good reason for that too. Firstly, the price... very important for most of todays buyers. Secondly, AMD seems to care a bit more about the customers than Intel does, whereas Intel only wants to make money and make their product look better (why make people like that rich??). Thirdly, despite the extra cache and all those stuff the p4 has, when it comes down to real time performance.. the differences are only marginal. Sure, the AMD heats up a lot (some times a real lot), but I still think you are getting your moneys worth when buying an AMD. The other thing is that AMD is not the best choice for an overclockers (in comparison to the p4)... but not all of us are overclockers are we?

By the way.. for anyone intrested in a benchmark comparison, have you tried this place: http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020107/index.html

In the end, I personally would choose Athlon any day. Basically because I know I'm not wasting any of my hard hard earned money... and I'm getting almost the same performance anyway.. at the expense of getting some extra heat. So what.. even if i get the most expensive cooler, I would still be saving at least $50...

More... The new Athlon XP's have Anti burning protection that helps lengthen the life of the CPU by shutting down the system if it reaches a user defined temp. If you get a good Motherboard that supports this, then you have little to worry about. I have an ASUS A7V-333 with Athlon XP 1800, and it runs like a charm. :cool:

:D For the moment, I think AMD would be the best choice for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom