reverse polarity ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so, my cooler master haf xb evo has a place to mount a 200mm fan on the top of the case. which i did when i built it. but i had originally planned on it sucking air out of the case, rather than pushing air into the case. if i mount it so that it does this, there is something internally that binds up. like there is no bearing surface. it will rotate, but there is a definite drag. so i am wondering if i cut the wires, and switch them, if the fan will rotate in the opposite direction without any negative long term effects.

so, my cooler master haf xb evo has a place to mount a 200mm fan on the top of the case. which i did when i built it. but i had originally planned on it sucking air out of the case, rather than pushing air into the case. if i mount it so that it does this, there is something internally that binds up. like there is no bearing surface. it will rotate, but there is a definite drag. so i am wondering if i cut the wires, and switch them, if the fan will rotate in the opposite direction without any negative long term effects.
That's a bad idea, your fan blades are designed with a angle/pitch and running that backwards would be very inefficient, if it moves any air at all. The fan is supposed to pull air out of the case and if it's not running right you might have a issue with that fan if it's a brand new fan

Last edited:
This is your case that you posted, From Cooler Master they show the designed air flow for that case. i've found that you need to use oem fans for oem cases when it comes to using 200mm fans, was it hard to line up the mounts when you originally installed this fan?

Cooler_Master.jpg

Last edited:
Put in a spacer between the fan and case if it's hitting the case when you install it, or just don't tighten the screws so much

i installed a cooler master 200 mm fan in the top. but it pulls air from the outside and pushes it downward into the case. if i flip it over, so it would pull hot air out of the case, it binds and there is a slight scraping noise that plastic sliding on plastic would make.

Try pulling the fan out of the case and power it up to see if it's the fan itself or something else causing it to bind up.
(physically hold the fan with your hands in the proper position to see how it operates)
is this a new or old fan?

Back
Top Bottom