I need some major help...

Zekester2097

In Runtime
I was trying to find out a way to completely shut off WIndows update, and clear the "Update and Shutdown" options, as I wanted to keep the current build of Windows that I'm running. I stumbled upon this command...

del %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.* /s /q /f

This is the site where I stumbled upon this... https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6ae2ci/how_to_shutdown_pc_without_updating/

I pasted it into Command Prompt, and it starts doing its stuff...
I only noticed that there's a problem, when I noticed stuff disappearing from My Documents and Desktop. I'm missing some really important data. I need to figure out two important things here.

1) An explanation on what just happened there? It erased over 50GB of data before I noticed it was misbehaving (I was working on another monitor...)

2) I need to get a hold of some software that can recover lost files in bulk. I had a folder filled with ISO files on my desktop. All gone. (Just to name an example. A lot more than that is gone as well.)

Half of my desktop is missing...

A lot of software has stopped functioning. Luckily Google Chrome is still intact. (Some plugins are screwing up now...)

I may take this as an opportunity to start my PC from scratch, but I need to recover my important data beforehand...

I just noticed that the shortcut for explorer has stopped working on the taskbar... I'm going to be pulling my laptop into System Restore soon after this...

The good thing here is that the Pictures folder is still completely intact... Nothing seems missing...

I'm going to be backing up every scrap of data that I need to, onto either my 5 flashdrives that I have, or I'll have to start chipping in from my 100-pack of DVD+Rs..... I don't know what happened here, but I'm not taking any more chances after this...

Update: Also, when I open Avast! up, it's actin kinda funny. Not everything is displaying right...

This is just depressing....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom