Potentially the longest thread in history...

I would love to get back down under for a visit... Just don't have the money right now. Just moved to Tenn. and still waiting for the wife to start making more money than I do again. LOL

You're going to have to give me a holler sometime when you are in for a day or two now that we are practically neighbors. Maybe you and the missus and me and mine can hit Bea's on a Saturday or something.

I went to an american-style BBQ competition yesterday and hot dammnnn got to taste some pretty good stuff :D finally got to try things right out of smoker/bbq rigs. Had a brisket roll and some ribs and smoked sausages, now I'm more determined than ever to get a smoker rig going :p

Calorie intake doesn't make something more or less healthy for you, it's the ingredients.

Calories are just a measure of how much available energy a particular food or meal has. Yes there are other important factors aside from "how much energy am I taking in" (e.g. if you only ate food with no iron in it you'd quickly die), but that doesn't change the fact that the overall amount of energy you consume per day is a big factor for your health.

You probably have a fast metabolism which helps you, but you're also still probably overweight would be my guess :p I've been 80kg both ripped and fat, so being the same weight isn't really an indicator of your overall body makeup as far as fat/muscle goes. You may be fatter and less muscular/fit than your younger self.

Curious, how much food would you reckon you'd eat a day?

I went to an american-style BBQ competition yesterday and hot dammnnn got to taste some pretty good stuff :D finally got to try things right out of smoker/bbq rigs. Had a brisket roll and some ribs and smoked sausages, now I'm more determined than ever to get a smoker rig going :p

It is down right addictive. I still don't have one either but am hopeful about getting one some day. Anyone who has never tasted some ribs or brisket that were slow cooked for hours and hours just can't understand it.

Calories are just a measure of how much available energy a particular food or meal has. Yes there are other important factors aside from "how much energy am I taking in" (e.g. if you only ate food with no iron in it you'd quickly die), but that doesn't change the fact that the overall amount of energy you consume per day is a big factor for your health.

You probably have a fast metabolism which helps you, but you're also still probably overweight would be my guess :p I've been 80kg both ripped and fat, so being the same weight isn't really an indicator of your overall body makeup as far as fat/muscle goes. You may be fatter and less muscular/fit than your younger self.

Curious, how much food would you reckon you'd eat a day?
Well, I've been 5'7 since I was about 17 and I've been fluctuating between 145 and 155 since. According to the people who like charts and **** that's basically flatline for my height. When I was muscular in high school I weighed more because I had muscle mass and thus muscle weight. I do have a fast metabolism but I also have a different approach at consumption control.

How much do I eat a day hmmm. Well over 2500 calories that's for sure. I'd say, about 2 American sized portions a day plus snacks while at work. When I say snacks I mean like Ritz peanut butter crackers, not really a sweet eating kinda person. Not to mention calorie intake during the day from drinking my Dr Peppers. I know good and well what calories are intended to stand for, but I tried explaining my stance on that to Kman in the past and I think I kind of have a good way to put it. I look at calorie intake like BMI. Most people know the BMI chart is bull**** in some form, however those might look at it. I find calories to be the same. It's a number with a perceivable meaning different to each individual because each body processes differently. Much like GHz on a processor. All in all it's a self control matter in my educated opinion, controlling your intake based on what you know your body should and shouldn't have. If you go by numbers you're doing it wrong, much like how you can't calculate a processor speed compared to competing brand by GHz. If you know that buying a 1/2 gallon of ice cream (specific brand, flavor whatever) will result in you eating it all in one sitting because it's so good then maybe you should only buy a pint.....or none at all. You go to an all you can eat buffet, just because it says all you can eat doesn't mean you should eat until you feel sick or more than your regular daily average. It's a common sense thing, but really obesity comes naturally by not controlling your intake when you know you should "oh that extra piece of chocolate cake after this 3 course meal will be ok, I'll just eat small tomorrow". No, that's wrong. "If I eat this, this, and drink 3 cups of this I'll be right under 2500 calories"....again, wrong. 2500 calories could still be too much to process on a daily basis for your body and you could still gain weight slowly when trying to lose it. I had a friend that was once 350lbs by the time he was 22 years of age. He lost it all and is skinner than me at my height (he's almost skin and bones now IMO). His philosophy "put down the ****ing fork". I lost my train of thought so I'll end it here :lol:

Well, I've been 5'7 since I was about 17 and I've been fluctuating between 145 and 155 since. According to the people who like charts and **** that's basically flatline for my height. When I was muscular in high school I weighed more because I had muscle mass and thus muscle weight. I do have a fast metabolism but I also have a different approach at consumption control.

How much do I eat a day hmmm. Well over 2500 calories that's for sure. I'd say, about 2 American sized portions a day plus snacks while at work. When I say snacks I mean like Ritz peanut butter crackers, not really a sweet eating kinda person. Not to mention calorie intake during the day from drinking my Dr Peppers. I know good and well what calories are intended to stand for, but I tried explaining my stance on that to Kman in the past and I think I kind of have a good way to put it. I look at calorie intake like BMI. Most people know the BMI chart is bull**** in some form, however those might look at it. I find calories to be the same. It's a number with a perceivable meaning different to each individual because each body processes differently. Much like GHz on a processor. All in all it's a self control matter in my educated opinion, controlling your intake based on what you know your body should and shouldn't have. If you go by numbers you're doing it wrong, much like how you can't calculate a processor speed compared to competing brand by GHz. If you know that buying a 1/2 gallon of ice cream (specific brand, flavor whatever) will result in you eating it all in one sitting because it's so good then maybe you should only buy a pint.....or none at all. You go to an all you can eat buffet, just because it says all you can eat doesn't mean you should eat until you feel sick or more than your regular daily average. It's a common sense thing, but really obesity comes naturally by not controlling your intake when you know you should "oh that extra piece of chocolate cake after this 3 course meal will be ok, I'll just eat small tomorrow". No, that's wrong. "If I eat this, this, and drink 3 cups of this I'll be right under 2500 calories"....again, wrong. 2500 calories could still be too much to process on a daily basis for your body and you could still gain weight slowly when trying to lose it. I had a friend that was once 350lbs by the time he was 22 years of age. He lost it all and is skinner than me at my height (he's almost skin and bones now IMO). His philosophy "put down the ****ing fork". I lost my train of thought so I'll end it here :lol:

Calories does vary from person to person in terms of how quickly they burn them off and how many they need each day to sustain weight and so on. But it's not like Dave who is 5ft 2 can eat 10,000 calories a day and remain the same weight mean while some other guy who is 350lbs and 7ft tall can only eat 1000 calories while maintaining weight. There are no real extreme outliers on the scale unless you literally have some weird rare disease. Most adult males of normal sizes are going to fall within that 2000 to 3000 calorie bracket, with the odd rarity either side, maybe 1800 to 3500 calories at the extreme ends of the scale.

Back
Top Bottom