resurrection

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
so, i have decided to resurrect my old computer ( HP a1720n ) after gutting it and using the case for about a year to hold my "new" computer. since the time that i did this, i have robbed some of the parts for a different computer, so i ordered replacement used parts to get this running again. well, windows (vista) did not like this move, so it wants me to install the original system disc(s) to repair windows. great. i still have 2 sets of discs for this machine. i have 2 sets, because this was the first time windows shipped without system discs, and i was supposed to make my own discs, which i faithfully did. except for whatever reason, they came out of my brand new (then) machine corrupted. of course, i did not discover that until a couple of years later when i needed to use them. HP was kind enough to send me a set of discs. which worked, kind of. HP sent me another set, which worked better, but still were not perfect. they seldom worked on the first try. usually after a couple of times thru, it would restore things to an operational condition, at the cost of losing all of the data on the hard drive. so i eventually got pretty good thanks to the help here on keeping this old beast running, without losing data that had accumulated on the hard drive. i am not sure how replacing memory modules and removing a dvd drive messed up windows system 32 file. but that is where the "problem" is supposed to be. is there a way around this, or do i HAVE to take my chances with the system discs? replacing the dvd drive would be not much of a problem. but finding the original memory modules, and placing them in the correct dimms would be impossible.

well, let me ask this, if i have to wipe the hard drive clean, can a machine this old run windows 10? it is running a core 2 duo with ddr2 memory at a blazing 1.86 ghz! whew! lol
p.s., i can not find a set of HP recovery discs for this. all i can find is the corrupt set that the computer originally made. why i kept them, is beyond me.

Check HP and possibly the mobo's manufacturer's website and see if there are any W10 drivers for it. You might get lucky and W10 will assign some generic drivers to it, but if not then it is SOL.

Using Windows 10 on old hardware is going to get iffy at best. Microsoft has stated that if the manufacture no longer supports the hardware, it will no longer support it either. I stated "iffy" because nobody's really sure what M$ will do, not even M$ until that time comes.
You most likely be able to install 10 on an older box, but getting any updates may or may not happen
Windows 10 will make old computers obsolete – BGR

Back
Top Bottom