Help, building a computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a dvd/cd burner and cd-drive/dvd player combo, so i can watch dvds, play games etc., burn cds and dvds all on 1 drive. Is there such a device and what do you reccommend.

The case is a good start but the supplied PSU will not be enough to power the CPU you have chosen nor will it be enough to power the X800 XT card. 12A on a 12V rail is a little too small for your layout.

Try to find a Thermaltake, Antec, or Ultra (these are iffy, I've heard a lot of good and some bad) power supply. These are among the most reliable brands out there and provide good stability. They will cost a little extra than a combo case/PSU but if a PSU fries it's most surely going to take something with it.

You said you were looking for "a dvd/cd burner and cd-drive/dvd player combo." There are a lot of CD-RW's (CD Burner) out there that play DVD's as well. You would only need one drive for this configuration. Since you said "and cd-drive/dvd player combo" I assume you want another drive that's sole purpose is to play DVD's and CD's and not so much burn them? If that's the case I would rethink that, that would just be a waste of money honestly.

I just want 1 cd-drive that plays dvds and burns cd/dvds. How about the Aspire Turbo Case 500W 12V for my power source. If anyone knows any websites that I can find these parts for cheap or at whole sale I would be extremely greatful.

Well the DVD(+ and -)RW's do everything that you would want. You can find a generic brand DVD Recorder for about $50. I can't comment on the quality though, never had one.

Here are some sites that you might want to check out. Also you can still get the case that you had originally picked out, the price is MORE than generious just for the case without the PSU. You can replace the PSU with anything you like.

www.coolerguys.com
www.xoxide.com
www.pricegrabber.com
www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.ewiz.com
www.pricewatch.com

Hope you find what you're looking for.

What about downgrad to the the ATI radien x800 pro vid card. Its $200 less than the XT, but is there really a big difference the the XT and Pro.

You could go as far as to 'downgrade' to a 9800 Pro if you're just looking to play MoH.

I have the 9800 Pro 128MB version and I can play Doom 3 easily, which is much more demanding than MoH.

Then yes, you can use the 9800 Pro. The 128MB version is a better deal for a very small fraction of the performance of the 256MB version. The choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom