Random FREEZES and CRASHES

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam8813b

Solid State Member
I get random freezes and crashes while just using Windows XP regularly. It was doing this a month ago, and then i formatted and its stilld oing this. Ill get a freeze about every 30minutes. I did a memtest, and 0 ERRORS. What is the culprit here? Failing HD? Failing PS? I also ran virus scan, no viruses.

Does the hard drive ever click, especially when it crashes a *click* then kinda of a *whizzz*lol.. erm.. does it make any unusual noises?

overheating?, virus?, spyware?, hardware fail? Try a bootable os and leave it for a while and see if it crashes.

ok, check this out.
1. It's either Your mother board and it's having problems with one of your IDE ports.
2. Your power unit might be giving you that problem.
3. Your ram might be shutting down on you.

What type of mother board do you have?

I have an ASUS A7N266-VM with an Athlon 1900+. Another tendency of the crashes is if I try to reboot it immediately, it will freeze immediately. But if I give it time to rest like an hour or so, it will stay on for a good 30min-hour.

amd processor are known to get hotter than intel chips. heat can cause these problems as well as voltage glitches. My first recommendation is to purchase an aftermarket heatsink and fan. (Foxconn makes good products). Add 1 or 2 case fans on the back. If that doesnt work, try a RaidMax p/s, Future power, or Antec, all are quality units. also, new asus boards are crappy, i would replace it with a gigabyte or biostar board.

I had the same problem, but it was purley random. the UPS fixed it.

Even with those temps it sounds like overheat to me.How are you reading your temps with what.Are you reading the temp with your bios.If not and you know hot to get into your bios and not trash it out try to go into your bios when you first boot up and in pchealth look for the temps and just leave it running for a hour or so in bios and check your temps.If you already are in bios then al I can suggest is to get some thermal paste and re install your CPU.I know it might not be the problem but what do you have to lose $5.00 fpr the thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom