whats the best socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnairgunz09

In Runtime
i see there is alot of differnt socket types i also notice that there are alot of options for socket type A i was wondering whats the differnce between them? and whats the best one?

well mostly the type of processor that can be used in it, socket A supports myriad processors from old sub-1ghz processors up to the athlon XP 3200+ at 2.2ghz... socket 939 and 754 support the new AMD64 chips, which can run 64-bit applications, they also use hypertransport/on-die memory controllers. if you decide to go 64-bit the general consensus is to go for socket 939, however i would suggest if you are into technological stuff to go for a socket A system for the time being... there is a socket A chip that is extremely overclockable called the xp-m, if you dont know what overclocking is just ask. any other questions?

The socket 754 will often outperform socket 939 equivalents. For example, a socket 754 3400+ will be around as quick as a 939 3500+. However, 754 will not have the "future-proof-ness" of 754, it's older, and 939 is AMD's design of choice. It's only a little more expensive too, and if you want to go for top spec processors, you've got to go 939.

how can you figure it will outperform its 939 equivalent? You have to have registered ram(i believe) and it dosent support DC DDR! So how can a 754 system w/ standard DDR Outperform a 939 system w/ DC?

look like ive made a bit of a mess here heh im putting together a budget gaming system im using a dell l866 so any way i go will be a HUGE upgrade. so the 939 is the way to go? im fine with the price it was only a couple more dollars then the 754. what do u think?

Wait for the PCI-Express SLI motherboards to come out. They're pretty expensive, but offer huge future upgradability, and great onboard features (Dual GB LAN, RAID, etc). You can make a simple system out of them now, and plonk bits in later as needs be.

most mobos have those options already. i kow my MSI does. But smauler has a good point, cause if you wait youll have a monster system instead of what most of us have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom