GPU freezes with artefacts

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
So I was playing CSGO yesterday and suddenly my screen froze with square looking artifacts. This never happened before with this GPU. After I restarted I kept getting these artifacts and freezes around a minute or a few seconds after startup. The computer worked fine in safe mode yesterday but I only tried it for like 10 minutes. Today windows 10 crashes on the windows logo with horizontal artefacts and doesnt start up. However, the BIOS setup works fine except that those horizontal artifacts continually show without crashing it.

What is the issue and why did the GPU suddenly stop working like that? Is the GPU dead already?

Edit: I just managed to get the computer running in safe mode now but with constant horizontal artefacts

Last edited:
Doh! Really lol, I'm running windows mem diagnostics at the moment. The bios artefacts seem to have gone too. I havent seen any artefacts for like 10 mins now. after the mem test Im gonna try reseating the gpu and using the PC with the case open for it to run cooler.

Lol I've saved for months to get this stupid gpu and it dies after a few months. I think my computer is cursed.

If you're seeing artifacts in BIOS, then it's a hardware issue with the card; usually memory failure IIRC.

Hope it's still under warranty.

Nah its not under warranty :(, now I've learnt my lesson not to buy used things...
...after I go to the local computer shop and buy a cheap £20 temporary gpu.

btw do you think i could get it working by downclocking?

It's VRAM. Take your heatsink off and clean it completely while it's off. If it's a blower design take the plate off the top of the card and check to make sure all VRMs and RAM chips have their pad completely intact and is making contact with both the chips and transfer plate. If you have any missing or they aren't making contact replace them. I would also check the card in another machine as undervoltage can sometimes lead to memory failure in a GPU.

Back
Top Bottom