2 into 1

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
ok, since i have the old computer running as a backup rig, and it doubles as a way for me to play solitaire, i would like to connect it to my 27" HDTV. which by itself is no big deal. but i still want my primary desktop to be able to use it as well. the old computer uses only a VGA cable. my new one can use both a VGA, and an HDMI cable. when i first got the new computer up and running, i thought i would upgrade to the HDMI and maybe see better graphics. but what happened was that the image projected onto the screen was to large. my son tried resizing the settings in the TV, but he could not figure it out, and in typical teenager fashion, he got mad after 15 minutes and refused to mess with it again. so i just went back to the VGA cable. i am wondering if the size of what is being displayed can be adjusted in the computer, so i could actually close out of a program (the minimize, maximize, and close {x} buttons were never visible because the image was to large) when i wanted, rather than shutting the computer off every time i wanted to change between screens or programs. using the HDMI connection for the new computer would solve this problem outright.

there is no GPU in my desktop, its just Intel 530 integrated graphics. so in the Intel graphics settings, right now it is set to 1360 x 768. and the box is checked to maintain display setting. the other choices are : maintain aspect ratio, scale full screen, center image, and custom aspect ratio. i will dig out the cable after dinner, and give it a try myself. i will post back with results.

well, i get the same results. nothing i try makes the image smaller, except to go way small. all the rest of the image sizes make the image larger, so i loose more of the screen perimeter. i started to go into the custom screen resolution area of the Intel control panel. but there is a warning pop up window saying that doing that would cause extra stress on the components, and Intel does not warranty using that area. so i backed out of it.

An Intel 530 is still a GPU, and as such you found the settings I was talking about. In custom resolution there should be an underscan slider. You should be able to set the native resolution of the screen then underscan which makes the image smaller and everything visible.

add_custombasic.jpg

sorry this has taken a while. its been busy. i am not having any luck. i tried entering in the stock screen size of 1360 x 768, then shrinking it 10%. i clicked on the add button, but nothing happened. i entered in 3 other sizes, and the same thing, no results. also, i have 2 other questions, that may or may not be of any importance. 1) the refresh rate shows 59 hz, rather than the 60 hz i thought everything ran at. and 2) there is a place to change a setting, called interlaced mode. i have no idea what that does, but it shows up in the refresh rate box. other than the add button on the far lower right corner, i do not see anything that says apply, or save. which seems like it should be there from most every other setting i have changed in windows. does it only save and apply after i close out the settings? what am i missing?

You want progressive, not interlaced.

The add button adds the custom resolution for selection in the other screen. It won't take effect until you change the resolution there.

Back
Top Bottom