A Mighty Server

theradestjosh

Solid State Member
Hello fellow people, I'm in the market to build a new media server. I'm currently running a server with Dual E5405 and 12GB of DDR2 but I wanna upgrade and Start pushing it more. So I'm in the market to maybe upgrade to something with ddr3. Another Thing I might add is that I store all the media locally but have thought about going to a NAS

I've been thinking about doing that for a while but I just feel limited beucase I might wanna spin up a minecraft server or something else

NAS + A NUC or two with ProxMox! Or ESXi or whatever virtual environment floats your boat. I'm partial to ProxMox for home use because clustering is free :tongue:

I honestly was thinking about the NAS +NUC combo due to it would be small and I'm guessing a lot less power hungry. I've used Proxmox before me and mounting drives don't get a long well in Linux. How Would you rate ESXi Though I've been looking into that

What errors are you seeing when mounting drives? Easiest way is to set your NAS to share out drives via NFS exports, ProxMox has support built in to mount these. I've been running it over two years with no problems :tongue:

It was more of user error lol. Like I undserstand how to mount in Debian. It's just auto mount that throws me off and in Proxmox case mounting Media from outside that VM

I suggest going with whatever suits the needs you're having for the server environment. Making a Minecraft VM is pretty easy with MineOS, and even easier to do if you're familiar with Windows 10 and Hyper-V. A NAS and NUC is a good combo to save space, but also a lot cheaper if you built your own box to do the same thing. So it all depends on budget and what exactly you plan to do, as well as what kind of space you have. I built my NAS with spare hardware, a 4u Rosewill rack chassis, some 6TB drives, a couple SSDs for cache, and a new PSU. I run a couple hypervisors on this setup to run a cloud server and VPN. I don't have any critical needs that require a real server OS so this was the better option for me, YMMV.

at the moment I'm running about 5TB. 3 for movies 1 for show and 1 for random storage and stuff. I plan on in the future to have all 3TB. I have an Old H440 Case I wanna use for this build. I've just been in the processes of do I wanna use a LP Xeon or go with an i5. Because I myself am trying to learn more about Virtualization.

I have an AMD A10 something APU, two Core i5's (the NUC's, and two Xeon's in my setup. I don't really notice a difference between the three, but I'm not doing anything super intensive on them. And technically a celeron in the NAS, but I don't use it for anything but the nfs shares and periodic backups to an external drive
ZC40HSN.png

Back
Top Bottom