Gaming PC help

kmanmx

Golden Master
'Sup all. For those who have no idea who I am, I sit in Off Topic all the time :p

As you can see in my signature, I am running a pretty fast laptop at the moment. I bought it in december as I was moving between different houses a lot and so my desktop was becoming a PITA to move everywhere. Well now having spent all that money, sods law, I will no longer be moving all over the place for numerous reasons. So now I have no need for a laptop. The good news is laptops are second best to desktops for thermal/acoustic/reliability reasons, and I can now return to a desktop PC ;) woop.

I don't really do a lot of heavy gaming anymore, but at the same time I hate having a slow PC that can't stand up to everything I try and do, even if it isn't that often. So I will be looking at a high end rig. I am pretty happy choosing most of the components, just want some advice on a couple of bits:

Watercooling/Case:After having a gaming laptop spinning its fans at 129K RPM all the time and still only keeping the CPU at 90c, i'd like to return to a PC that is seriously cool and quiet. So I want some help with watercooling. I have no experience with watercooling other than the AIO ones. I'd like to cool both the CPU and GPU if possible, so I need a case to fit a fat rad in (420mm+). Or is it better to get two smaller radiators, one for CPU, and one for GPU ? I also need some case reccomendations, ones that are big, high quality, good for water cooling. I don't really have a budget for cases because even the most expensive ones are like £400 max, which is fine. So just whatever is reccomended.

Motherboard: I want a good motherboard. I user a DAC/headphone amp so don't care about audio. I use Ethernet so don't care about WiFi. But, I want one with high quality reliable components, that will overclock well, and is rock solid. I doubt I will SLI but it's possible at some point, so a SLI capable mobo is preferable.

It's really just that which I need advice on. The rest will be a pretty standard setup, i7 7700 & GTX 1080Ti etc. I might not be upgading immediately, but in 3 to 6 months or so. So whatever are the best components at the time.

Not wanting to go Ryzen?

I read it was a bit of an immature platform ? such as game performance being worse for no obvious reason (as it does well at non-gaming tasks).

I tend to trust Intel more to create solid chips and mobo architectures that work reliably.

Nah it's pretty solid. I'm moving to Threadripper myself.

Fair enough. What's a pretty reasonable OC for the Ryzen 7 1800X ? If I can get 4.0Ghz out of it reliably without bluescreening every week then that'd be cool.

Also do we know when Volta gaming GPUs will arrive ?

I think I need to revisit my build as it just came out at £4400 :lol::lol: I was thinking 1/2 that...lol

Fair enough. What's a pretty reasonable OC for the Ryzen 7 1800X ? If I can get 4.0Ghz out of it reliably without bluescreening every week then that'd be cool.

I think I need to revisit my build as it just came out at £4400 :lol::lol: I was thinking 1/2 that...lol
Volta next year unless they decide to underhand their biggest customer.

If you don't want to video edit or anything a stock 7700k would be perfectly fine. I edit 4k video and game in 4k without the need to OC. Was just saying Ryzen is fine, no need to ride the hate train. Hell I don't even run my RAM at higher than 2133 anymore.

The ryzen route is very good believe me, even the ryzen 5 1500 is still VERY good.
And the 1500X is also good for a little more.
I mean it is as good as the 7700K? No but it offers a lot of power for such a low cost in comparison, even comparing FPS the intel lead is not even that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I2ZtitLnGQ

Intels days of being King is not looking good, AMD has really upped their game.

Last edited:
The ryzen route is very good believe me, even the ryzen 5 1500 is still VERY good.
And the 1500X is also good for a little more.
I mean it is as good as the 7700K? No but it offers a lot of power for such a low cost in comparison, even comparing FPS the intel lead is not even that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I2ZtitLnGQ

Intels days of being King is not looking good, AMD has really upped their game.
Nah, Intel's still king because AMD can't compete with a 4.7GHz clocked 10 core lol.

If you're not gaming at 1080p with some serious GPU power AMD is the way to go IMO unless you just WANT to build an X299 rig for stupid money. The FPS difference is nil at 4k, which is what we run at and that's why I'm going AMD.

Back
Top Bottom