Building a pc for my mom

It doesn't need to be super high end since your mom won't really use it for gaming as you said. I would go with some of the cheaper parts if I was you?

If your going to DIY, you can get a 520w Seasonic PSU for About $5. less
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

One thing about going with an OEM pc off the shelf, You'll only get a 1 yr warranty compared to the 3 yr on just the mobo you posted and the Dell that was recommended uses a proprietary power supply. Didn't see the specs on the Dell psu but I'm thinking it's probably a 300w at best, which rules out any upgrade options for a better GPU in the future should it ever be decided to use this pc for something else

Last edited:

One thing about going with an OEM pc off the shelf, You'll only get a 1 yr warranty compared to the 3 yr on just the mobo you posted and the Dell that was recommended uses a proprietary power supply. Didn't see the specs on the Dell psu but I'm thinking it's probably a 300w at best, which rules out any upgrade options for a better GPU in the future should it ever be decided to use this pc for something else
the Corsair PSU was on sale at the time of my posting. yeah i stopped buying Boxed PCs years ago. they have there place but im happy to spend a little more when its my money to DIY. and of course ebay is great for cheap CPUS years down the road should it ever need a update

What GPU would his mom need later on when the rig isn't for gaming? I'm sure he won't be putting a 1070 in here for Facebook and Youtube.

Sorry guys, I'm sticking to my guns on the prebuilt. There's a reason why similar spec'd machines are cheaper in this area and that's because you don't have to pay for the Windows license which saves 100 bucks right off the bat. For somebody who is only going to post cat memes by day and Farmville by night there's no point in worrying about whether it looks pretty, or really remotely perform any better than an internet box should. They will be stuffed into a corner and forgotten about until 7 years later when Youtube starts to lag then they will need a whole new machine anyways. My cousin is still using a Pentium D based machine with Vista to browse Facebook and do her grades on (she's a teacher). My immediate family miracast their phones to their TVs to avoid getting laptops or computers. If my mom asked for a computer tomorrow this is what I'd get her and it'd still be better than the smart devices people use every day. Not only that but it's specc'd lower than the 350 dollar Dell I linked before. I get the want to build a fresh machine and the worry of upgrade later but the reality of it is it's not necessary for your average internet user.

What GPU would his mom need later on when the rig isn't for gaming? I'm sure he won't be putting a 1070 in here for Facebook and Youtube.

Sorry guys, I'm sticking to my guns on the prebuilt. There's a reason why similar spec'd machines are cheaper in this area and that's because you don't have to pay for the Windows license which saves 100 bucks right off the bat. For somebody who is only going to post cat memes by day and Farmville by night there's no point in worrying about whether it looks pretty, or really remotely perform any better than an internet box should. They will be stuffed into a corner and forgotten about until 7 years later when Youtube starts to lag then they will need a whole new machine anyways. My cousin is still using a Pentium D based machine with Vista to browse Facebook and do her grades on (she's a teacher). My immediate family miracast their phones to their TVs to avoid getting laptops or computers. If my mom asked for a computer tomorrow this is what I'd get her and it'd still be better than the smart devices people use every day. Not only that but it's specc'd lower than the 350 dollar Dell I linked before. I get the want to build a fresh machine and the worry of upgrade later but the reality of it is it's not necessary for your average internet user.
i get what you're saying but at this point its like 50 bucks vs the dell you linked. the CPUs are so close a everyday user will never tell the difference. spending 50 extra bucks to say i built it and hell maybe even include her in the build she likes to learn... worth it to me

came here to see if any part was wrong or something much better for the category

if i ever come on here looking to blow tons of money on RGB then call me a noob and stick to you're guns

Last edited:
That's just being short sighted.

What if (and no personal offense against the OP) mom doesn't live for 7 yrs?
What if grandson comes along and wants to do gaming while he's at grandma's home?
You buy a cheap pc and you'll get a cheap pc with limited use, but I shouldn't have to say what everybody already knows. Hind sight is always 20/20 but by then it'll be - would've - could've - should've.

Besides all that, Like I already stated, that Dell only gives you a 1yr warranty, while either psu, the Corsair or the Seasonic offers 5 yrs warranty, for longevity mom would be better off with the custom build. Maybe you can afford to buy your mom a new Dell every couple years PP, but not everybody wants to do that

Last edited:
i get what you're saying but at this point its like 50 bucks vs the dell you linked. the CPUs are so close a everyday user will never tell the difference. spending 50 extra bucks to say i built it and hell maybe even include her in the build she likes to learn... worth it to me

came here to see if any part was wrong or something much better for the category

if i ever come on here looking to blow tons of money on RGB then call me a noob and stick to you're guns
GL with the rebates in 6 weeks, but sorry don't like to spend money where it's not needed. I make decent money but 100 bucks is still 100 bucks to me. I answered your question, or rather what you just said which was something much better for the category. You came here asking for an opinion and I gave just that. A Facebook box is a Facebook box and I don't see the point in spending more money just to build, but luckily that helps my case for Joe's response.

That's just being short sighted.

What if (and no personal offense against the OP) mom doesn't live for 7 yrs?
What if grandson comes along and wants to do gaming while he's at grandma's home?
You buy a cheap pc and you'll get a cheap pc with limited use, but I shouldn't have to say what everybody already knows. Hind sight is always 20/20 but by then it'll be - would've - could've - should've.

Besides all that, Like I already stated, that Dell only gives you a 1yr warranty, while either psu, the Corsair or the Seasonic offers 5 yrs warranty, for longevity mom would be better off with the custom build. Maybe you can afford to buy your mom a new Dell every couple years PP, but not everybody wants to do that

The only one here being short sighted, or maybe only arguing for argument's sake is you. Here's why:

If OP's mom doesn't live for 7 years then what good is a 5 year warranty on one part?
Considering this is her son trying to spend an extra 100 just to build for the sake of building I'd assume son would build grandson a PC. That's no excuse for grandma to hold a PSU capable of a gaming GPU for nothing. Simply wasting money at this point, considering a $36 Seasonic 300W still carries a 3 year warranty. Another point to add if we really want to be ridiculous is I've ran a Quadro M5000 (and a 1070FE) on a 240W HP SFF PSU and it didn't even get warm (it was gold rated). The Dell 240W PSU has 16A on the 12V rail, it's more than capable of supplying a LP 1050ti IF the need came up. The HP my 9 year old uses has a 240W platinum rated PSU and as an experiment I put a 1080 on it. I was more worried about the small gauge wires melting than I was the PSU failing.

That's the point, a Facebook box should be cheap and why I brought up my own family using smartphones for everyday internet. I suppose because it's me you decided to gloss over that and go straight to "PP can afford mom a new Dell". My immediate family don't even want PCs just because it's a waste of money when their phones browse the internet fine. Reverting back to the previous point, a Facebook box should be cheap. Dude wants to spend 100 extra simply to build mom a PC with a pink case. That's his prerogative, but IMO a waste.

I have a Pentium 4 eMachines and Dell XPS 400 that still work, I'd be willing to put that wasted money on the line and say the Dell would outlast the warranties on the self built parts and then some while maintaining respectable performance simply browsing the internet. I'm still on the pre-built hate train because I'm an enthusiast, but as somebody who is practical and has been in the enterprise world a while I can actually see the worth in saving a few bucks and getting a pre-built for "regular" usage. I mean, my 9 year old uses an HP with a 1050ti and an i3 every day for gaming. Almost the same setup being SFF. I get the dude wants the excuse to build, but don't bash me for interjecting with some solid advice while the availability to save some cash is there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom