XP updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
Hello, I have auto update off due to me not wanting SP2. Now, I figured I'd do an update so I marked the 9 critical security updates and tried to download and install. My comp froze less than halfway through, so I chose to cancel the updates and start again, comp froze even worse, had to hard shutdown. upon restart I let everything load properly and tried to do the updates again, now there were only 6 critical updates, so I guess that some actually went through from last time, so I sucsesfully update the remaining 6 critical updates and then restart like it wanted me to.

Now I try to download and install the hardware/software and noncritical updates but all fail. Why would all the noncritical updates fail went the other updates went through succssesfully? was it because it froze on the first attempt?

I assume I have all the critical updates except SP2 now.

Hmm, well let me ask you a rhetorical question first: Why did you install SP2 in the first place? Did you see the poor reviews on that piece of crap? Well anyways, if something has gone wrong with the installation, you can remove SP2 from $Sp2 Uninstall$ folder in system32, but I'm not sure if that's the exact name of the folder, it's something similar however. Anyways, if you want sp2 to be installed correctly 100%, why not order the free cd from Microsoft?Here is the link:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx by the way it's completely free and should arrive in like 3-5 days. That's how I got mine.:D

Well, there is a way to disable SP2 from installing without having to turn off auto-update. When it asks you to install, choose advanced or custom install, click next and unselect SP2 from the list. This should disable SP2 from EVER downloading onto your computer. After this, re-enable auto-update and try installing your updates that way. May work, may not. Please report back.

-Dan The Man

got auto updates on, now i just have to wait for the icon to appear in the bar.

EDIT: well, sorta on, i chose to notify me before downloading and installing. but it's not completely off like it was before.

auto update never started up on it's own since it only pops up when critical updates are needed and i installed all of those already.

i did however spend a few good hours uninstalling each hotfix one by one and then finally after all the dern restarts i had to do, i shut down most if not all background proccesses and did a full update with all critical (besides SP2) and non critical, hardware and software updates.

everything went smooth and installed correctly with no freezes.

SP2 is no longer available on auto-update, due to too many people having their computer lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom