virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
can someone please explain to me what virtual memory is? when i'm "researching" online at work, i'll get a sign that says virtual memory low. Then the computer slows down dramatically. when i go to task manager, "PF Usage" goes all the way up to 1.70gb. Can someone please explain this to me and let me know the solution please.

Thanks a bunch...

Virtual memory is not a real memory but virtually created by OS in conjunction with the hardware. It's stored on your hard drive not RAM.. Programs use these virtual addresses rather than real addresses to store instructions and data. When the program is actually executed, the virtual addresses are converted into real memory addresses. This process is call paging. (notice there is a paging file on your hard drive).

Thank you for explaining this to me.

does programs need 1.7gb of virtual memory to run? i don't even multi-task on my computer. i would only have my outlook open and an internet based program and it will take up 1.7gb. is there a cure for this problem?

That's odd for it to say low on memory. I highly doubt you're low on memory. The amount of distribution you should have allowed for the VM usage is 1.5 times that of your maximum RAM. So 512MB of RAM = 768MB minimum VM usage. The maximum amount of VM usage should be double that of your minimum.

There is an ideal setup amount from which your computer will run the best. I've heard a lot of people say that TOO much VM will cause very poor performance, well it's a double edged blade because too little will obviously hurt too.

Depending on your RAM, set the VM usage accordingly and then experiment with whatever works best.

EDIT - Also if you have 2 or more HDD split the VM between them. So instead of on a 512MB RAM system with 2 HDD's having 768MB minimum VM usage on 1 HDD, you would have 384MB on each HDD and a maximum of 768MB on each drive. This totals to 768MB minimum.

depends on what you're running as background apps. SQL can eat that much and more, if SQL server is running as a service. Check and see what other services are running.

the only application running is outlook and an internet based program. it only started happening a few weeks ago. I wonder what happened.

Please let me know where i can change the virtual memory setting.

Thank you.

Changing Virtual Memory:
Right click on My Computer, Click on the Advanced tab, look for Performance and click the settings box, click on the Advanced tab in the Performance pop-up box. Now look down to the bottom and find Virtual Memory, click Change and set accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom