PSU help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRISH

Baseband Member
Building my machine andf I have 2 WD sata hard drives, and I need a PSU of about 500W how can I tell if the PSU's have sata cables I am guessing I need 2 lol

your power supply will use standard molex connections, so will the SATA drives... the only connection diff. is between the HD's and the Mobo

LOL Shawn I have that same case!

As for the question. Most modern PSU come with SATA power cables. They will be very thin somewhat long black connectors with a nitch in one side to make sure people don't put it in backwards. They usually come in two's, but I have seen a few PSUs that have 4. It is kinda nice to free up the old molex connections for other things.... like 7 case fans!

The sata doesnt have anything to do with the PSU.
It does if he's wanting to know how to power his SATA drive which is common if you're unfamiliar with SATA.

Most SATA drives have two different ways for power. It can either except the Molex connector that normally powers an IDE Drive, or it has a place for a SATA specific power connector which like they said most modern PSU's have.

Look into the THermaltake 560w PSU, it's what I have. Strong rails, lots of power, includes SATA power cables.

Although like I said, I have a SATA drive and I just plug in a regular 4pin molex connector. You don't plug in BOTH the SATA power and 4pin molex into the drive though because that would fry it. It's either one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom