home group issue

Are the network settings both set to "Private" on each machine? Time and date match, including the time zone? Both running the same version of Windows? Is the work group name the same on both machines? Did you run the HomeGroup Troubleshooter as well?

If you answered yes to all of that, my next question would be what antivirus software are you running? Chances are there is a firewall blocking the Home Group, but the above items are quick and easy, so do those first.

Tried all of the above but I am still having the same issue. Any other ideas?

Make sure Network Discovery is turned on.

Are you using the PC host name and relying on DNS? Try the IP to get to the share.

Last edited:
Bring up a command prompt window (Win + R, then type CMD, hit enter), then type ipconfig /all it will show a list of all of the network cards on that computer and the IPv4 address associated with it.

Usually its like 192.168.x.x

An alternative of finding the IP of a computer is to ping the hostname. Usually it shows the reply from the IPv4 address.

Then bring up the run box (Win + R), then type \\192.168.x.x\ (replace the x's with the correct IP of the other computer) and press enter. This is a hard way of doing it but you can see the shares on a remote computer that way.

If network discovery is on, Windows will automatically discover other windows devices on the network. Bring up the explorer (Win + E), on the left side click "Network". You should see a list of local windows devices (discovery must be on). You can click on them to access their shares. If a username/password box comes up just enter the login information of the computer you're trying to connect to.

Last edited:
Ok, I can see the the desktop of the client from the host of the homegroup but i get the following error message and vise versa:

As far as i know all the permissions are set up correctly. Can someone help me with this plz?

thx

Right-click on the desktop folder (from that pc, not remotely) and choose "Share With > Home Group (Read/Write)" It may not be shared by default. Typically, it's only the Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents folders that are shared. Unless you added the desktop, you won't be able to get to it.

Right-click on the desktop folder (from that pc, not remotely) and choose "Share With > Home Group (Read/Write)" It may not be shared by default. Typically, it's only the Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents folders that are shared. Unless you added the desktop, you won't be able to get to it.

It was already added originally. Any other ideas? thx

Back
Top Bottom