Worth upgrading?

Tossed the old Titan in, reduced core count to 4 cores with no HT, Set it at 3.6GHz solid (no turbo) and hopped in a 64p match. All ultra settings 1080p it bounced between 60 and 120fps. I'd say it averaged around 85fps.

Well, I've purchased a blower design GTX 1070 (Reasons being I don't want heat ejected INTO my case, I want it sent out of it lol). Should arrive in 2 days because I paid for express post.

PP, here's something I came across whilst I was doing further research. Look at the specifications for BF1:

Battlefield 1 system requirements announced | PC Gamer

Recommended CPU: i7 4790. I can grab a Xeon processor for like $380 atm, which gives me the performance of an i7 4770. I'm seriously considering this, as that hyperthreading won't just help BF1's CPU bottleneck at 1080p, it'll also help whenever I do some rendering in Premiere Pro.

But I'll have to wait until my 1070 arrives in the mail before I can make any decisions.

Last edited:
PP, here's something I came across whilst I was doing further research. Look at the specifications for BF1:

Battlefield 1 system requirements announced | PC Gamer

Recommended CPU: i7 4790. I can grab a Xeon processor for like $380 atm, which gives me the performance of an i7 4770. I'm seriously considering this, as that hyperthreading won't just help BF1's CPU bottleneck at 1080p, it'll also help whenever I do some rendering in Premiere Pro.

But I'll have to wait until my 1070 arrives in the mail before I can make any decisions.
"Recommended" - I play BF1 just fine with an i5 4690k (yes it's OC'd but not all that much). Played with a 970 at Ultra settings as well.

With that logic, Ryzen should crush BF1 then lol (not that I'm interested in AMD stuff atm, my builds have always been Intel + Nvidia, though I may dabble later on once everything with Ryzen stabilises and performance becomes more balanced across the board)

With that logic, Ryzen should crush BF1 then lol (not that I'm interested in AMD stuff atm, my builds have always been Intel + Nvidia, though I may dabble later on once everything with Ryzen stabilises and performance becomes more balanced across the board)
You're going to get pretty much the same performance as a 6900k which in any case would be better than your i5 at everything. Can get an R5 for less than 300, have more cores than an i7, and be able to overclock with high end RAM that would be cheaper in the end and offer substantial performance to non gaming workloads. There's no "stabilizing" 1080p performance. Just need faster RAM. AMD has already officially said the chip is performing how it's designed because 1080p is slowly taking a walk down death lane.

No I mean even at 1440p, in some games Ryzen smashes them, while in others, it's sorta like, mehhhh. But the inherent problem is if 1440p becomes the new standard, then 27 inch monitors become the new standard size instead of 24 inch. Which means, average folks are gonna need bigger desks XD

Back
Top Bottom