Worth upgrading?

We'll have to see how the 1070 performs in this PC then. If I don't have to upgrade my processor, I'll be putting that cash into a 144 Hz monitor.
I still have time. I have a 1080p monitor and can put the 1080 in my rig (or use one TXP), disable 2 cores and HT then clock my CPU to stock and blast BF1 with some playing.

I'm not interested in a higher res, that's all just graphical stuff. The game already looks great at 1080p. What I am interested in, is being able to respond to situations faster, and therefore improve my reaction times. A 144 Hz monitor allows me to do that (since the amount of motion blur produced when moving is significantly lowered, therefore allowing me to see targets or things like that in my peripheral vision)

edit: PP get on the techist Discord. I'm on there right now.

Last edited:
If we want to be technical everything you're talking about is graphical. A higher resolution actually doesn't add anything to graphics fidelity except make the image sharper reducing the need for AA which actually increases performance because it reduces the amount your graphics card has to sample a scene. It also reduces load on the CPU due to lower the amount it has to feed the GPU information. With a higher end graphics card this in itself leads to a better experience and can overall lead to a better experience.

If you're already playing BF1 then you already know that most of the action is either in front of you or taking place away from you therefor making your theory pretty moot. Half the time you're being picked off by snipers or being shot at by a tank. The rest is shooting an enemy in front of you or a person killing you from behind. CQC isn't really a huge thing due to the way they developed their ****ty maps. I have an extended FOV due to my monitor and I'm still finding myself playing like a run and gun between points or ducking around cover supporting and still being shot at. The terrible netcode makes for trying to treat the game like CS on hardware impossible. I've noticed that ping plays a major role in between who shots who first more than anything I've tossed at it on my end.

Try playing the latest DLC man, tonnnnes of CQC there my friend :p

While yes you're correct that 1440p would reduce the load on my CPU, 1440p monitors are usually only found in 27 inch variants or higher, and they're usually expensive ASF. So unless you're willing to throw a couple of hundred US my way, even I can't afford a $700+ monitor right now.

I have money, but I can't spend it all on tech hardware, as much as I'd like to lol.

There's a 1080p 144 Hz Viewsonic monitor here for $399, which is pretty good from what I can tell. I'm not overly interested in IPS monitors because they're all 60 Hz (unless you pay through your *** to get 144 Hz AND 1440p IPS), and I'm looking to buy a 144 Hz monitor to take advantage of the crazy fps that the 1070 will be spitting out on nearly every game I play.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36729/viewsonic-xg2401-24in-freesync-144hz-gaming-monitor

Maybe if you're running lower settings in BF1.

Like I said last time though, even changing the settings didn't *overly* help my frame rate, though it did boost it to like 80-90ish on Low. So I'll give the 1070 a shot, and see how it goes. (I would very much like to not buy a whole new set of hardware, as it gives me headaches money wise lol)

Back
Top Bottom