scratch built PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well step one is deciding what I want, then gathering the available parts, some things have changed since I did this last.Step 2 is coming up with a schematic to make it work.Step 3, building it using wirewrapping mostly(chips go into sockets).Step 4 it starts getting tougher, have to write software in machine code to act as a BIOS, emulators are available though so you can use another PC to do this.Once thats done, flash the BIOS onto a ROM chip, then start testing and tweaking things.After that install some kind of OS or write one for it.

Right now Im having issues finding support chips that are DIP instead of surface mount, I cant do surface mount, may end up using a microcontroller chip that has all that stuff onboard,that would be easier but not as much fun, still searching.Still collecting documentation too, freaking pentium 100 is pretty complicated compared to an 8 bit 8085A cpu LOL.

Any of the major suppliers, the parts dont cost much, just google for electronics parts, some have huge catalogs to download, like mouser, theirs is huge.Of course, you do need to know what your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom