Issue with RIG500HD's jack connector

natinusala

Beta member
Hello,

I've recently bought a RIG500 HD 7.1 USB headset from Plantronics, to use while gaming.

Plantronics-RIG-500HD-11.jpg

As you can see on this image it has a weird connectivity : the 7.1 card is connected to the computer through USB, nothing suprising here, but the headset itself is connected to the card using a jack connector, which splits the cable into one cable for each ear. It's what you can see on the bottom left of the image.

I am having problems with this very jack connector, it seems to be malfunctionning.
  • It will randomly fail and I have to rotate it to fix it
  • It will randomly make a snow-like sound, therefore destroying everyone's ears in my Discord channel
  • It can be annoying to fix, sometime I have to play with the jack for a minute without finding a working position

It definitly comes from the jack itself and not the connectors nor the cable. it does a very particular sound when I rotate the male jack into the female connector, when trying to make it work (beware, lower the sound of your speakers) : Vocaroo | Voice message

Do you have any fix for this ? I guess it comes from the inside of the female jack, or the outside of the male jack. It looks like the connectivity between the two is very bad.

Thanks a lot :)

Sounds like it's just an inline USB DAC, so you could try picking up a cheap one to see if it fixes the issue.

If you plug the headset directly into the headphone jack / mic input on your PC, does it work at all?

It has a button which tells the driver to toggle the Surround mode so I doubt that it's a generic one. But a generic one may work, do you have any model/reference to point me to ?

When I plug the jack to my phone I have sound, although it sounds like when the Surround is disabled on the computer (sounds really bad).

Back
Top Bottom