6600GT or PNY 6800?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohGrFreak said:
if you do in fact get a 6800, i'll tell you how to unlock those extra piplines to the 16 that a GT has. PM if you are interested, it's free and works on my regular 6800 quite well.

You do realize that they're locked because they don't work properly, as in, if they worked perfectly, they would have sold the card as a 6800GT.

You do realize that they're locked because they don't work properly, as in, if they worked perfectly, they would have sold the card as a 6800GT.
Yeah but it's kind of the same as the 9800pro or se? I think it is that can be softmodded into a 9800XT...it depends on the supply and demand ratio at the time. Because sometimes they just take the cards with the busted pipelines like is common, BUT if there is a high demand for the 6800's then they would simply disable the pipelines which means you could re-enable working pipelines.

Of course this is a gamble because it's about 50/50 chance that you either get busted pipelines or simply disabled ones.

Nubius said:
Yeah but it's kind of the same as the 9800pro or se? I think it is that can be softmodded into a 9800XT...it depends on the supply and demand ratio at the time. Because sometimes they just take the cards with the busted pipelines like is common, BUT if there is a high demand for the 6800's then they would simply disable the pipelines which means you could re-enable working pipelines.

Of course this is a gamble because it's about 50/50 chance that you either get busted pipelines or simply disabled ones.

I couldn't agree more, and that is precisely why I would buy the 6600gt.

ohGrFreak said:
if you do in fact get a 6800, i'll tell you how to unlock those extra piplines to the 16 that a GT has. PM if you are interested, it's free and works on my regular 6800 quite well.

Yeah, but it only works on the EVGA special edition 256mb ggr3 regular 6800. not the real regular.

This is probably because eVGA is a very good company. Whereas, with PNY, there is about 0.0000001% chance that softmodding the 6800 to a 6800GT by unlocking the pipes would actually work.

Nubius said:

The Standard was an Ultra with one-less power connector. Because of this and stability issues resulting from low power input, core speed were reduced and pipelines were disabled and locked. Theoretically, if the Standard was given back it's extra power connector, it would be able to run with both the 16pipelines properly and the Ultra's Core speed, thus performing as good as an Ultra.

melanthius said:
This is probably because eVGA is a very good company. Whereas, with PNY, there is about 0.0000001% chance that softmodding the 6800 to a 6800GT by unlocking the pipes would actually work.

I don't think you can softmod the Standard to a GT at all. When the standard was introduced, there were no GT. The GT was introduced as a card that can perform nearly as good as an Ultra with only one power connector requirement (from redesigning and add-ons came the powerful GT ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom